82 GS1100GK clutch release issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100GK clutch release issue

I have a 1982 GS1100GK I've been working one almost done now the only issue is the clutch. I pull the clutch in to put it in first and the bike just want to take off. I adjusted the cable and still same issue. Now I removed the arm to move it back some so that I can get more pull and notice it has a lot of play I can spin it the other direction pretty easy. Is that ok. I read that if the bike has not been running for a long time that the clutch plates get stuck. I did notice the holding down the clutch while in 1st and pushing the bike it got easier.

Like someone said in the other thread, maybe stuck clutch plates. If you can ride the bike safely (IE good brakes /tires/ whatnot) , go out and thrash the crap out of it. Get it hot, snap the throttle on and off and put the clutch through a good workout. You may find that loosens it all up.

Comment

That lever behavior is normal. Some drag is normal too, but it's hard to describe how much to expect. It shouldn't bog the engine down noticeably, but the bike may jump a bit when you drop it into gear. An old or cheap cable might be stretchy. Some other things can add slop to the system and reduce clutch movement, like a worn lever or clutch perch.

If you can slip it at all, the plates aren't stuck.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Im assuming its a std Japanese wet clutch, correct ?....I know from experience that wet clutches dont do well with synthetic oils. Also...should be easy to remove the clutxg plates (if its anything like my GS700)...Im sure similar....there are friction plates, then steel plates between them. At times, depending on how long it sat, its usage, former owner, etc....those steel plates can get a glaze on them (mostly from old oil)....Ive salvaged clutches before by removing those plates, and removing the glaze with some Brakcleen and a super fine steel wool 9dont wanna rough em, just clean the glaze). Takes me about an hour to do the whole job....

VERY important !....take careful note on the positioning of the plates as they come out and go back in.....try to have a factory diagram handy because often, the very last plate before the pressure place goes in one notch off....

I put a set of EBC brand friction plates in mine and just cleaned the steel plates, and it lifts the front wheel in 3rd......think it cost me $80 US....

Comment

Working...
        X