Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 GS1100E - Tappet Bracket Sheared off of Head Below Cam Lobe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100E - Tappet Bracket Sheared off of Head Below Cam Lobe...

So, pretty much what the title says. One of my tappet brackets sheared clean off of the head, below a camshaft lobe while riding the other day. Thought it was a snapped starter gear at first, but opening up the top end revealed a set of tappets just hanging out inside the head. Could've been worse, I suppose, and simple enough fix. However, what the **** would cause this to happen? I set my valve clearances less than a year ago. Bike fired right up first try, held idle no problem (no signs of tight clearances).

20151222_121300.jpg

My thought is that the cam rotated, the tappets tried to press the valves down, but met too much resistance and snapped?... What should I be checking (besides clearances) to make sure this doesn't happen again? How do I narrow down what caused it in the first place? I do know that this engine was rebuilt by the PO. Perhaps he used cheap parts?...
    Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2015, 02:20 AM.

Pictures?????

Comment

Click on the tiny thumbnail in the OP.

Comment

It is a follower; pretty easy to replace . Figure on degreeing your cams. Was the follower pre stresses or cracked. You need a close up of the break; is it cfress all the way through? If not factory defect.
        Last edited by posplayr; 12-23-2015, 02:47 AM.

Comment

fluke deal on a stock engine!! Put a new one in & you will be good to go if that cam lobe didn't get dinged. They usually break just behind the adjuster screw on a performance or race engine when the pistons & valves get tangled or a cam chain breaks. No need to degree the cams if they are stock, on stock sprockets. Just time them like the manual says and adjust the valves & go.
          Ray.

Comment

Working...
          X