82 GS1100EZ starting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100EZ starting question

For some reason I don't have to pull the clutch in when I start my bike, on my fathers bike (Same model, year, color, same everything) the clutch has to be pulled in before the engine will start to crank. Does anyone know why this is? I'm assuming it's either a bad connection somewhere, or a faulty relay of some sort. I've had the bike almost entirely apart before, and everything seems to be connected. If anyone has any ideas let me know! Thanks!

Originally posted by kstra17 View Post
    For some reason I don't have to pull the clutch in when I start my bike, on my fathers bike (Same model, year, color, same everything) the clutch has to be pulled in before the engine will start to crank. Does anyone know why this is? I'm assuming it's either a bad connection somewhere, or a faulty relay of some sort. I've had the bike almost entirely apart before, and everything seems to be connected. If anyone has any ideas let me know! Thanks!
    A lot of people disable the clutch safety switch, so they can start their bike with the clutch out. It's a simple mod, and a matter of personal preference.

Comment

Do you know where that switch is?

Comment

Enter Clutch Switch in the search....

The switch is on the underside of the clutch lever.

It's a very simple (and very badly designed) mechanism -- take off the two little screws, being careful to not lose the pieces, and see if you can clean it up and/or adjust it (if you loosen the screws, there's a little bit of adjustment slop built in). Sometimes it's easier to loosen the clutch lever clamp and rotate the whole thing on the handlebars so you're not working upside-down.

Simplest of all is to trace the wires into the headlight bucket and jumper them together. This switch is dangerously unreliable, so many of us disable it. (Of course, you have to then remember to pull in the clutch before starting, but if you can't remember that you should probably rethink motorcycling anyway.)

You can also replace the switch guts -- less than $10.
        Last edited by bonanzadave; 01-09-2016, 04:46 PM.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

At the leverage point for the clutch arm (left handle bar) on the bottom side there is a microswitch that makes contact when the lever is pulled. There is a small cover plate for it, they might have modified it there but, most likely it's been modified inside the headlight bucket.
          http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Chances are, that switch is still functional, but disconnected. The popular mod to disable it merely involves changing a couple of connections inside the headlight bucket.

Making it work again (if you really want to do that) would involve going into the headlight bucket, finding the two yellow/green wires that are connected to each other, then taking them apart and re-connecting them to the two yellow/green wires that come in from the switch on the handlebar.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
            X