1980 1000G Starting troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 1000G Starting troubles

Working on my project bike and can't get it to fire. Driving me nuts!! It has run since the rebuild, but now will not start. It spins well. I have checked the ignition timing and the static timing is good. It has fire to the plugs and fuel to the carbs. I'm going to check the cam timing next, although I triple checked that before I buttoned up the valve cover. If there are any ideas out there, I'd appreciate it. I've done the following work and tests:
    Wiseco 1085 Kit
    Fresh valve job- Compression running 90psi in all four cylinders
    APE mechanical cam chain tensioner
    34 CV Carb rebuild-fuel getting to the bowls, mechanicals move smoothly, chokes working, no stuck floats
    Dyna S Ignition- getting fire properly and statically timed correctly (tried with stock electronic ignition, same result)
    Accel Coils- Proper ohms from coils, proper voltage through wires and spark to the plugs
    Yuasa sealed battery
    New starter
    New starter solenoid
    new igniter

Definitely check the cam timing. Why is your compression so low, it should be 120 or higher, especially after a rebuild. If you put where you are, there might be a member close by that could help out.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I live in San Juan Bautista, Ca near Gilroy. I'm thinking the cam timing might be out and causing the lower compression.... Hoping to work on it today if life permits.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        Definitely check the cam timing. Why is your compression so low, it should be 120 or higher, especially after a rebuild. If you put where you are, there might be a member close by that could help out.
        As little as I know about these, this is correct. Even at 120, that is way low. According to what I've read, that would be at the rebuild point. My lowest one on a stock bike was 170.
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
        Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          ...Why is your compression so low...?
          Wondering the same thing.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Well, I'm wondering the same thing now. The cam timing is correct and I still get 90psi. I installed the new pistons and rings correctly, and torqued the head properly. I'm open to suggestions.... If anyone lives near Gilroy, let me know and we can connect. I'm very frustrated!

Comment

Are you sure you're doing the compression check properly? you have the throttle wide open when you're cranking?
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yes throttle wide open....

Comment

Sounds like the rings are "washed down" with fuel. If you flood a cylinder with gas, the compression drops way off. Pull the plugs out and crank the motor over for at least 20 seconds. Put brand new plugs in it and retry........Billy

Comment

That sounds reasonable, I'll try it. Better than pulling the motor apart. The engine is a new rebuild and hasn't been run more than about two minutes....

Comment

Did you check the deck height after putting the barrels on?, a guy on gixxer had the pistons about .250 down the bore
                      on a rebuild

Comment

Ok, I cleared the cylinders and squirted a little oil into each. Brought the compression up to 130psi in each and I was able to get it to fire up! Yeehaw!. Thank you for the suggestions! Now just a matter of tuning as it is missing and spitting a bit....

Comment

Got it running, but the carbs act like the vacuum hats are leaking....

Comment

Working...
                          X