Viton Valve stem seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viton Valve stem seals

Does anybody know of a good source for Viton Valve Stem Seals for an 83 850?
    Any distributors on our poor Canadian dollar side?

Thanks

Not sure if the seals are Viton, but Parts n More is a Canadian company.

I have made several purchases from them, no problems with the company or the products.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Has anyone bought from Suzuki Performance Spares on ebay? They have a set listed, I cross referenced the p/n's over from a 78 750 head and an 83 850 head and their the same,

Can someone confirm for me here that the valve stem seals from an early 750 head and a later 850 head are the same?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
        Has anyone bought from Suzuki Performance Spares on ebay? They have a set listed, I cross referenced the p/n's over from a 78 750 head and an 83 850 head and their the same,

Can someone confirm for me here that the valve stem seals from an early 750 head and a later 850 head are the same?

Cheers
        They're the same.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
          I cross referenced the p/n's over from a 78 750 head and an 83 850 head and their the same,
          I believe this is your answer.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            I believe this is your answer.
            Probably - I haven't checked the part numbers - the seals for a GS500 would also fit, and that should be a dealer part as they made them until 2009. I've had good luck with obscure motor parts from Suzuki Canada, so valve seals should be easy - if they fit. Plus, they should be fresh.
            '82 GS450T

Comment

I just wanted to make sure with some of the older / wiser members,

Does anyone know if Z1 enterprises has viton valve stem seals?

Comment

What I'd like to know, is Viton the best material to make valve stem seals out of?

In this day of space age materials there is likely something a lot better.
                What do modern motorcycle engines use? What do expensive cars which are expected to last many hundreds of thousands of miles use?

What do you professional engine builders on this forum use?

I got some on my 550/675 that felt like silicone, soft stretchy green things, but haven't run the engine yet so don't really know. They sure went on easy, snapped tightly into place by hand with no tools.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Call them. Here is there number Phone: +1 (315) 926-5054

There web site is down for maintenance and an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    What I'd like to know, is Viton the best material to make valve stem seals out of?

In this day of space age materials there is likely something a lot better.
                    What do modern motorcycle engines use? What do expensive cars which are expected to last many hundreds of thousands of miles use?

What do you professional engine builders on this forum use?

I got some on my 550/675 that felt like silicone, soft stretchy green things, but haven't run the engine yet so don't really know. They sure went on easy, snapped tightly into place by hand with no tools.
                    I've only once seen those green seals. A customer with a street GS1000 had bought rings and valve stem seals off the internet...It smoked like grandma Clampett. Car rings and Vesrah stem seals went in and fixed that. Rings were allegedly NOS but were tired...The green seals were so low tension I didn't trust them.

I use vesrah seals frequently for road and race stuff. Always look at the seals to check the wiping edges are intact. There was a batch several years ago which got missed by quality control and were a problem.Not had any problems last 4 -5 years.

FWIW I use Z1 stem seals on the 8V race motors. They're a soft outer which if it gets hit by the retainer in a fit of overrevving, will hold together.They're also about .020in lower profile....

The modern motors use seals recognisably similar to what you've seen in all the GS's - just much smaller dia valve stems.

Comment

I always use genuine seals and gaskets where i can. less hassle in the long term

Comment

Thanks Guys

Comment

i Use the VITON seals from SPS in my Gs1000, never had a problem with them. made by APE, the owner (Nick) swears by them and uses them in all their drag bikes so they must be pretty good!
                          (much cheaper than OEM as well!)
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I went to my local Suzuki dealer. Bought 2 10 packs of Vesrah seals, less than half price for the suzuki seals. These were for my 16 valve engine but they are the same price as the 8 valve engine seals.
                            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                            X