I'm a bit stupid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a bit stupid...

Hi everyone, thought I would share my tale of woe with you (not for any sympathy, I don't deserve it, but there is a legitimate question at the end).

The 550en I bought last year was actually in the reassembly phase, having removed the engine, dismantled, cleaned, replaced piston rings, checked valve clearances etc etc, I had put the engine back in the frame and done a lot more since in getting the bike back together.
    I had the forks and swing-arm back in place, the wheels on, rear brakes sorted and so on, when I discovered something I had forgotten to do that made me think I might have to pull it all off to lay the bike down to take the engine out again (luckily I didn't have to in the end).

I was going through some parts when I found that I had two of the front cam chain guides (the long one with a slight bend to it) when I should only have one, with the other sitting happily where it is supposed to be in the engine. I had bought a good second hand one off eBay as the one I removed was looking really worn, so that's why I had two. So, despite sitting there with the service manual (downloaded from here), the clymer manual, and a printout of the parts fiche, I still managed to not realise what I had done when zipping the engine up. It was a hell of a job reinstalling the cams the first time, as each time I would tighten down the cam caps, another 1-2 threads would strip (after I found 6 had stripped the very first time I tried putting them on). I actually helicoiled all but 1 of the 16. It was a very time consuming and frustrating job to say the least.

So last night I removed the cam cover and got to work removing the cams, the tensioner etc and putting in the guide. It was a relatively easy job, and you guessed it, I had to helicoil that last bolt hole (which was pretty difficult with the frame in the way). Anyway, it is all done now, just have to wait for a gasket to replace the one that tore when I took the cover off. Luckily I have plenty to keep me occupied in the meantime with this bike!!!

My question is though, how much damage (if any) could I have done to this bike if I had run it without that guide in place?

despite the frustrations I have really enjoyed working on this bike, all the components seem to me to have designed with a lot of common sense when assembling them, though I am sure there are plenty with more experience who would disagree with me.

take care everyone, you are an invaluable resource for rookies like myself as I find myself frequently searching through here looking for answers to problems.

Yoss

Surely you are not just using the bolts to pull the cams down against the valve springs?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Something sounds wrong. Were the threads stripping before you reached the torque or were you having to exceed the torque to pull the caps down and then stripping ? If the former maybe someone overtightened them in the past ? Were you pulling them down symmetrically in stages like 1/4 turn each in rotation. If not you could have ended up with the cam binding on one of the bearings.
      I have seen a few Honda twins with manual tensioners at the front of the block where the tensioner pad disappeared and the bike looked to have run for quite a long time and the chain milled a 1/2" deep slot on the inside of the block. How the chain didn't jump teeth I don't know.
      The cam cover gasket will separate more easily if you coat it with grease at assembly. I generally get three visits before my luck runs out.
      Last edited by Brendan W; 01-08-2016, 06:47 AM.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
      X