Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS 650E - Cam Chain Tensioner

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the forum and am not quite use to it yet. Please forgive the newb...
    I removed the tensioner and then forgot to replace it when removing the front sprocket. I am sure the the cam has traveled without the tensioner on it. I am fearful the it may have skipped a tooth. Can someone please point me in the right direction for reinstall instructions? Should I remove cover and check to see timing is set correctly?
    Thanks for the help...

I have done this on a 450 but I wouldn't try it without a manual by my side. Here is a link to finding a manual to use: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

depending on your browser, you may have to select compatibility mode to see anything but code. and Charlie's right. I wouldn't do anything with out the manual when it comes to the internal rotating bits. reset it as per the Suzuki FSM

Comment

Just to clarify, don't start the bike until you have confirmed that it is timed right. The valve cover will have to come off.
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by CafeCX View Post
          Hi everyone,
          I am new to the forum and am not quite use to it yet. Please forgive the newb...
          I removed the tensioner and then forgot to replace it when removing the front sprocket. I am sure the the cam has traveled without the tensioner on it. I am fearful the it may have skipped a tooth. Can someone please point me in the right direction for reinstall instructions? Should I remove cover and check to see timing is set correctly?
          Thanks for the help...
          Yes.
          You're not the first, won't be the last. If ever in doubt, open up and check.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thank you so much everyone.
            I really appreciate the help. The engine is out and it should be easy to check by using the service manual as suggested.
            Thanks again. Nice to meet you all.

Comment

It's worth checking any time you get a new GS. I've checked dozens of them, quite a few of them have been off one tooth, a few of them off two teeth. Even seen this on old bikes that had never been opened up since new.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X