No announcement yet.

gs850 gt top end rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, do it right. Quit thinking in inches, it's millimeters. Use the Suzuki manual, the others are wrong. Use the right method, use the right tools, it's easy. Burnt valves suck.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

hmmm ok ill go with that spec then

Comment

UUUuuuhuhuhuhuhuhuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That Lurch noise. Again.
        Last edited by tkent02; 01-27-2016, 12:53 AM.

Comment

roger that

Comment

Originally posted by mottacycle View Post
            ... spec sheet says Valve Clearance or tappet (when cold)IN. 0.03- EX.0.08 then below(.001-.003) i mean tight is right but which is it?
            The 0.03-0.08 spec is in milimeters, the 0.001-0.003 spec is in inches.

Both are correct, but the mm spec is MORE correct, as the inch spec is an approximation.

When you are deciding which shim to use, go with the looser side of the spec, if possible. Unfortunately, one shim size will change by the entire range, so if you are at 0.035mm, for example, going just one shim size thinner will take that to 0.085mm, which is technically out of the range. The good news is that you can safely go to 0.10mm (approx. 0.004") with no problems. In fact, the bike will run just a bit better with looser valve clearances, and it will be longer before the valves get tight enough to need another adjustment, but you still need to check them according to schedule.

If this bike is 'new' to you and you know nothing of its history, plan on checking clearances again soon, likely within 1000 miles or so, just to make sure they are still good. After that you can go to the recommended 3-4000 mile intervals.
            I ride many bikes.
            Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Datsa Noydb View Post
              The 0.03-0.08 spec is in milimeters, the 0.001-0.003 spec is in inches.

Both are correct, but the mm spec is MORE correct, as the inch spec is an approximation.

When you are deciding which shim to use, go with the looser side of the spec, if possible. Unfortunately, one shim size will change by the entire range, so if you are at 0.035mm, for example, going just one shim size thinner will take that to 0.085mm, which is technically out of the range. The good news is that you can safely go to 0.10mm (approx. 0.004") with no problems. In fact, the bike will run just a bit better with looser valve clearances, and it will be longer before the valves get tight enough to need another adjustment, but you still need to check them according to schedule.

If this bike is 'new' to you and you know nothing of its history, plan on checking clearances again soon, likely within 1000 miles or so, just to make sure they are still good. After that you can go to the recommended 3-4000 mile intervals.
              Ok i got it now. thanks datsa i appreciate the knowledge. Im a standard thinker as everything i play with is inches, so thats why i lean towards it!! also update on the head in the shop.... one of the inner valve springs is broken is that a hard part to source? and should i get a whole new set? im thinkin new set. he said the valves are good, the seats are good, valve guides good, and everything is apart and cleaned up, just waiting for my valve seals and inner spring. ima stop by and look at the head. while at all this i am really on the fence about the rings and ball honeing the cylinders that way its now a new bike from my ownership almost. (sorry for the horrible grammar issues and spelling just a analog man in a digital world) hard enough to post pictures on here let alone type all i need too!
              Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

hahah ok kent thanks for the motivation

Comment

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
                  don't know what year your 850 is but here is a decent gasket set priced pretty competitively compared to other sellers, I choose Vesrah over Athena any day, but if you can afford OEM gaskets, go for them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS850...875610?vxp=mtr
                  would i be good with this set its an 81 gt with an 80 head goin on it...??? only difference between the gl/gn and gt was the full Transistorized ignition, slotted disc rotors, 4 screw master cylinder, headlight,handlebar switch, mount angles of cam sprockets, so not in engine and tranny design? gaskets should mate?? reason i ask is cause the gasket set is $159!!!! from factory
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I've got some spare (used) valve springs if you want them (free for the cost of shipping). I've also got a brand new set too (not free). PM me if you want to discuss.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks datsa! for the tips. i have a service manual for the bike just didnt have it in front of me when my brain rattled off that spec lol!! but now u got me confused... spec sheet says Valve Clearance or tappet (when cold)IN. 0.03- EX.0.08 then below(.001-.003) i mean tight is right but which is it?
                      This bold print item has me wondering if you are doing it right. The clearances between the Intake and Exhaust do not differ, if I am correct. This makes me think you are seeking a clearance of 0.03 on the intakes and 0.08 on the exhausts.
                      Please tell me I am wrong thinking you are reading these wrong, but I think the clearances are 0.03--0.08mm for both intake and exhaust valves.
                      It's just me but I always think in terms of inches and set mine in the .002--.004 inch range as opposed to the .001--.003 inch measurement.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                        It's just me but I always think in terms of inches and set mine in the .002--.004 inch range as opposed to the .001--.003 inch measurement.
                        Which is .05mm - 10mm, pretty much what all of us do. I aim for .08 but .05 to .10 is close enough.

Comment

yes i got it in and ex are the same clearances. just wrote it down wrong space cadet over here

Comment

would i be good with this set its an 81 gt with an 80 head goin on it...??? only difference between the gl/gn and gt was the full Transistorized ignition, slotted disc rotors, 4 screw master cylinder, headlight,handlebar switch, mount angles of cam sprockets, so not in engine and tranny design? gaskets should mate?? reason i ask is cause the gasket set is $159!!!! from factory
                            Head gasket is the same for all of the 850's from cross-referencing P/N's, never knew there was an 850 GT? Where you'll run into problems swapping heads are the earlier 850's used VM carbs while the later ones used CV.

Comment

constant velocity carbs on her i would love some MS carbs though

Comment

got it all back together now those cams are tricky!!! Everything is lined up 20 pegs from 2 to 3 timing mark was still lined up turned over and good to go! lash was set correct and i should be running here after i figure out the wiring for new coils!! thanks again for all the input and help!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X