X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the OEM Clutch Cable Nylon Lined 1978 GS750B

Hello Gents:

My 1978 GS750 is introduced here.

As I work through this bike, I'm wondering in the OEM clutch cable was nylon lined, and should not be lubed. The lever pull is not overly stiff, but if it would benefit from some oiling, I'd do so.

Can you tell from looking if the the cable is OEM and nylon lined?

With thanks.................
    Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2016, 08:17 PM.

I've never seen a stock clutch cable lined with nylon. Sometimes there's a bit of a coating right up top where it hooks into the clutch lever, as protection from chaffing, but the whole cable is not coated only the first few inches. If that's the original clutch cable do yourself a favour and buy a new one, 38 yrs use is long enough.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

While you're thinking about it, also clean and lube the spiral thrust gizmo that the cable connects to; usually they have some sort of earwax substance in there that used to be grease….. amazing how well the clutch feels, and happier the cable is, when you've just done that.
      '82 GS450T

Comment

Most bicycle cables are nylon lined, but I cant say I've seen clutch cables anything other than steel wound lined.

This is the best thing since sliced bread:

You stick the lube in the small hole and spray away until the lube comes out the other end of the cable.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.

I'll dribble some oil down the cable and see how she feels.

And I'll get into that clutch lift mechanism as in the attached image.

You can see that the cable has had a bit of abuse with the stranding disturbed, And no signs of oil in sight. The three Phillips screws holding the mechanism in place look unmolested, so I may be the first one in there since the factory. So if it's factory greased, it'll be overdue.

With some warm weather forecast, I'll find how the impact driver performs and take an image to share.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WDHewson View Post
            Thanks for your help guys.

I'll dribble some oil down the cable and see how she feels.

And I'll get into that clutch lift mechanism as in the attached image.

You can see that the cable has had a bit of abuse with the stranding disturbed, And no signs of oil in sight. The three Phillips screws holding the mechanism in place look unmolested, so I may be the first one in there since the factory. So if it's factory greased, it'll be overdue.

With some warm weather forecast, I'll find how the impact driver performs and take an image to share.
            Hard to tell from the pic but that looks close to new cable. They let go at the worst possible time. Usually they break at the handlebar lever although I have seen some pull clean out from the clevis at the bottom end.
            It's unlikely those screws are Phillips. More likely they are JIS, a Japanese industry standard. They can react very badly to attempted removal with a Phillips bit and get chewed up very quick to the point that it's dremel time. Your impact driver will lessen the chances of this happening and it looks like some have already seen a Phillips tool.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

An old clutch cable is not worth spending any time on. A new OEM clutch cable is less than $20 (at least in the US of A).

While you're at it, replace the old lever -- it's also surprisingly cheap and the hole where the cable end slots in gets egg-shaped with wear.

Avoid aftermarket cables and levers -- the OEM stuff is much higher quality and costs are very similar.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Avoid aftermarket cables and levers -- the OEM stuff is much higher quality and costs are very similar.
                +1 on the cables, but there are some kick ass levers and perches available which have bearings in the pivots, altered leverage, better adjustment and give a MUCH smoother and easier lever pull. I put one of these on my 450 and it helped the lever pull immensely:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Much thanks again guys.

I appreciated the help with the distinction between JIS and Phillips "crossheads". My impact bits seem to fit the Japanese crossheads without slop or play, and so work very well. But I do have an old Sears screwdriver labelled Phillips, that I never use, because its fit is so poor.

The cable sucked back quite a bit of ATF last night, and I did find from the GS750 Service Manual that clutch cable lubing is a maintenance item.

I'll take a picture when I get the lift mechanism out.

With appreciation for all your help...........
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2016, 07:51 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by WDHewson View Post
                    Hello Gents:

My 1978 GS750 is introduced here.

As I work through this bike, I'm wondering in the OEM clutch cable was nylon lined, and should not be lubed. The lever pull is not overly stiff, but if it would benefit from some oiling, I'd do so.

Can you tell from looking if the the cable is OEM and nylon lined?

With thanks.................
                    many years I oiled my Oem clutch cable and it seized solid,put a new one one and have never oiled it since.
                    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                    past bikes. RF900
                    TL1000s
                    Hayabusa
                    gsx 750f x2
                    197cc Francis Barnett
                    various British nails

Comment

The red ATF that I dribbled into the top of the clutch cable appeared at the bottom of the cable in just a few hours. It didn't seem to flush any dirt or rust out, so the cable is reasonably clean.

And I've removed the clutch throw out mechanism which probably hasn't seen anything but the factory grease. So I'll clean up the old grease and slather in some new grease.

The ramp and ball system is a nice design as it's rolling friction rather than sliding friction, but even balls and rollers benefit from lubrication.

Here are a few images.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2016, 02:10 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

With the release removed.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The ramp system with the old grease.
                          Attached Files

Comment

With the balls and ramps cleaned and the grease renewed, and oil in the cable, the clutch lift is pure silk.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                            X