Slotting camshaft sprockets....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slotting camshaft sprockets....

Any DIY ideas on how to slot the camshaft sprockets? After taking about five minutes per hole with a very expensive bit to enlarge the 550 sprockets from 6mm to 7mm to fit the 650 camshafts, it would take forever to slot them with hand tools. Rat tail file or something isn't going to cut it I don't believe. They used some seriously hard steel.
    Google hasn't produced any results yet, either for how to do it yourself or where to buy a slotted sprocket for a 650 with the smaller size sprocket needed for the 550 engine....

What have you engine guys done? Or is it a "pay the professionals" type thing?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Use a carbide cutter in a die grinder. This is assuming you have an air compressor.
    Ray.

Comment

Yep, no problem there. Carbide will get through it OK?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I used a hand file to do mine, just like Suzuki Don. Wasn't too bad. I was actually surprised. I just took my time and it worked out fine. Patience is the key.
        sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
        1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
        1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
        1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
        1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
        1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
        1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
        1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

I just just did my 1100 cam gears with a file. Sprayed them with lay out die and used a divider to mark the arc lines to follow. Took about 30 minutes per gear. Slotted them approximately 1 hole size on each side of the original hole.

Make sure you debur the holes after to remove stress risers.

A good quality file is recommended, a cheep of Harbor Freight file ain't gonna cut it!
          1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
          1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
          X