Clutch center hub question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch center hub question

Just installing complete clutch back into a 83 gs1100esd.

I installed the original driven basket but installed a 1150 hub and will be installing 1150 friction and driven plates.

I made a tool to hold the hub out of an old driven plate. I torqued it to 55ft lbs. when I go to turn the hub there is approximately 75in lbs of drag, in neutral.

No abnormal noises when I turn the engine by hand.

Is this normal? I feel it is not.

I have done several gs1000's and do not remember there being any drag on the hub.

Thanks
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

read the manual on the GS1100ED, there are shims behind the basket that have to be correct. Whong shim clutch no turnie

Comment

I have the factory service manual, the 80-83. There is no mention of shims, however I did see posts where the shimming process was discussed, but it was 1150.

Maybe a 83 only manual will have the info? The manual I have shows the esd model but no mention of shims.

That being said I pulled it apart again, figured it was not correct. There are 2 washers, one that goes under the oil pump gear as a spacer and the other that goes over the big washer how the hub, the big one with the grooves in it.

As seen in this post, but it is not clear which washer goes where, as on is thicker and larger in diameter than the other

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

When I put it together I put the smaller one in under the oil pump gear, maybe it is supposed to be the thick one?

More searching for the shimming procedure I guess

Thanks
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Check out a parts fische for a GS 1150. Will show ya what order to install. Had same set up / question with my ED. Upgraded to the 1150 hub and a modified basket. No issues. Shim is inboard of the grooved spacer. Grooves face in.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2016, 11:22 PM.

Comment

That's what I'm thinking, thick washer belongs inside.

Great idea about the 1150 parts fische! I am suspecting the 83 is the transition year for a few years so the manual I have does not cover the shimming procedure.

Comment

GS1100ED_Shims_.jpg

It is actually shown in teh SD section.

Comment

Yup, that's exactly it!

Just looked at the 84 1150 parts, there are shims. Also looked at the 83 1100 parts, no shims shown! So it's a transition year.

Time to call it a night, been on my feet for 16 hours, mistakes are easy to make now! Give her another go tomorrow. No hurry up anyways, socked in by a snow storm today, you guys in Cali know what that is right

Thanks folks, this is such a great site!

Comment

stock_ED_Clutch.jpgpicture of a stock 1100ED on removing the factory parts in order shown; shim below thick washer but all under basket.

same as this one........

Last edited by posplayr; 01-29-2016, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]43972[/ATTACH]

It is actually shown in teh SD section.
                  Thanks Jim!

I must have missed it? That's what being tired does, I should know better

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                    Thanks Jim!

I must have missed it? That's what being tired does, I should know better

the thin shim is under the thick washer. if the thick washer is grooved then groove goes to the inside as in both pictures.

I'm sure it was pointed out to me as well probably by RapidRay.

Comment

In Nicks post it is not clear where the thick or thin one goes. I just figured they were washers, in reality one is a washer and one is a shim, I guess that is what he meant when he called it a "spacer". If I knew that my gears(brain) would have kicked in, maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                        In Nicks post it is not clear where the thick or thin one goes. I just figured they were washers, in reality one is a washer and one is a shim, I guess that is what he meant when he called it a "spacer". If I knew that my gears(brain) would have kicked in, maybe
                        Obviously with the blue surgical gloves my picture is more "professional". They are HarborFreight's best you know.

Comment

Yes, z doctair is in z ouse!

Thanks big time again, time for bed.

Comment

The PO of my bike (85 1150) did some hackery and left the shims out resulting in a damaged pump gear and washer. After fixing this, the bike was MUCH easier to roll around and it shifted better.

http://
                            Last edited by dorkburger; 01-30-2016, 08:35 AM.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The helical gear has more teeth on the 1150 (89) vs 1100 (87). As far as I know, three shim sizes are available. I imagine some whirring sounds might be heard.
                              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                              X