Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS1100E clutch inspection

First post in years, been busy.
    My 81 GS1100E was put into storage in 2010 with 10,500 miles (with 4/1 V&H pipes). Decided to dust off the cobwebs and get her back to life.
    It developed some noise around the clutch just prior to put it in storage.
    I did some reading, pulled off the side cover to inspect the clutch. No broken pieces found but the basket had some wooble to it. Removed the pressure plate, springs and plates.
    The hub nut felt loose. Bent back the tab and now the nut was tight. Took an old clutch plate and had a buddy weld up some 1/2" flatstock x 3' to make a holder. Just got this
    back today. The tool needs a couple of inner teeth cut off to work. Tomorrow I will attempt to remove the hub nut so I can inspect the basket. This will be sent out to APE for the rebuild / welding if it's in worthy shape.

Anyway, I've got a few questions.
    #1: I've got an EBC SRK50 set of clutch plates and springs to install. Is this a worthy set?
    #2: I hear that a GS750 oil pump gear will increase the oil output. Worthy or not? Would I need more than just the gear, and what years work? Where can I get one?
    #3: I picked up an Ape camchain tensioner. Is this worthy to install or should I keep the automatic camchain tensioner?
    #4: I've got a set of 38mm Mikuni slide carbs from a 1990 GS sitting around. Would installing these be advantagous? Would the stock throttle setup work with flatslides?

Would appreciate any help or links that I could review. Thanks guys

You need BOTH of the oil pump gears, from 76-82 GS 750. The 83 & later are a different design. I like Suzuki, factory, or Fast By Gast fiber clutch plates. Yes on the manual tensioner, APE has installation instructions on their site. Are the 38s STOCK from a GSXR or are they 38 RS flat slides? If they are 38 RS flat slides, they are too big for a stock 1100. Also, trhe RS flat slides require a twin cable, push pull throttle set up. They can get you killed with a single cable as high rpm will make the slides stay open, hence the PUSH/pull throttle name. If they are stock GSXR carbs, they will work but will still have to be jetted & those carbs need to be inspected carefully as the needles wear & kill the emulsion tubes.
    Ray.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Rapid.
      Had my clutch hub rebuilt and welded by APE. The clutch is installed and working well. No more noise there.
      After jumping the battery, she started up, idled her (choked) for 10-15 minutes (new oil/filter).
      After several runs down the block the starter clutch was starting to chatter. Did a bit of research, will get into it soon.
      Is there any difference in the quality of the different brand flywheel / rotor pullers?
      Some are deep sockets and some are shallow. I know I have the smaller sized crank (30mm).

Will see how dis-assembly goes, maybe check out the marketplace if parts are needed. Lots of threads about starter clutch issues for me to catch up on.

Comment

Working...
      X