oil leak from right side of crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak from right side of crank

Are these motor suppose to be vented? I can see the seal leaking az evidenced by oil from the bottom of the seal. Too much oil? Too much blow by? No vent?
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
    Are these motor suppose to be vented? I can see the seal leaking az evidenced by oil from the bottom of the seal. Too much oil? Too much blow by? No vent?
    Coming out from the ignition cover? If so the crank seal is leaking, the good news is it can be replaced without taking the whole engine apart.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The crankcase vent is on top of the cam cover (if that's what you're asking).
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Im hoping there's not excessive blow by due to the turbo and old rings. Of course then I'd "have to" redo the top end.
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Is the crankcase vent open as it should be?

Comment

It is as far as I know. The motoe dat for years, so I could be dealing with stuck rings?

Comment

"All the above" are possibilities -- clogged crankcase vents are common, and yes, they're very important. Even stock with good rings, blowby is pretty significant.

It's also perfectly possible you have a bad crank seal. This is pretty easy to replace, except that you have to be VERY careful not to install it backwards. (Basically, the right way around looks completely wrong...)

And sure, yeah, you could also have stuck rings.

Or any combination of all the above.

Clogged vents are cheap (possibly even free) and easy to check and fix, the crank seal is also relatively cheap and easy, so it might be best to start with these.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thank you. Im doinf a leak down and comp test on Sat. If theyre ok I'll do the crank seal and check the vent. Thanks again for all the feedback, you all are great!

Comment

Crank seal is easy to change. I hope yours isn't already in BACKWARDS!
                  Ray.

Comment

I seem to recall it was black side out.

Comment

There was a picture in the manual that showed them putting it in backwards. Did some of them come with backwards seals from the factory or is it from people doing it wrong by following the picture in the manual?

Comment

The black goes INSIDE the motor!!!
                        Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          The black goes INSIDE the motor!!!
                          Ray.
                          Yep.

Like I said, when it's in right it looks wrong. Basically, the crank seal on the right goes in backwards, metal side out.

Grab some strong spectacles and peer closely at a new seal. You'll find a teensy arrow indicating the direction the crankshaft should be spinning.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                          X