X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compression test results

166,156, 181, 200 dry.
    181, 181, 206, 206 wet.

Doesnt look good. I'm going to send my head off to APE to be cleaned and lapped. Still looking for used mtc turbo pistons, about to give up and buy new. I'd kinda rather use stock compression pistons to save the low end power. Will 1150 cams do much with a turbo? Oh yah, the turbo is leaking too. I can hear the oil inside crackling after I shutoff the bike. Looks like it'll have a fresh top end pretty soon. Maybe in time for Summer?
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Here we go.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Those compression #s were not an issue. Did you do a leakdown test first, like I recommended? The 1150 stock cams are about the best you can use in a 16 valve Suzuki turbo. Funny Bike racers still use them today.
      Ray.

Comment

Hi Ray, I may have been looking for an excuse to do the top end. Im sending the head out to be cleaned and lapped. Im having the turbo rebuilt too. No way it can smoke then.
        So, I'll be putting in studs, pistons, and obviously the cylinder will be fresh a 3 mil over. Ill I'll leave the bottom end stock until next time, or if I suddely get tons of money for no reason.

Comment

...and a new crank seal.

Comment

Oh, when I picked up the bike they hadnt done a leak down test. I told them to, but they didnt. Nice folks, but this is the second time the work order wasnt completed. So, oil was getting into the cylinders from somewhere so if wasnt getting by thr rings it was either the turbo or the head.
            Last edited by turbojonn; 02-14-2016, 06:44 PM.

Comment

bad carbon seal or you do not have a good oil return routing.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
                166,156, 181, 200 dry.
                181, 181, 206, 206 wet.
                Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                Those compression #s were not an issue.
                I was gonna say.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The routing is a straight shot from the turbo to the oil fill openining. Yah, the cylinders looked great. Nice cross hatching and no rust pitting that I could see.
                  I figure I can get the turbo pistons in there and run it up to 200 hp. It will probably take me awhile to get enough $ to do it.

Comment

Curious, what would make the 2 cylinders presure lower than the others? Could I just re ring it, or would it need to be bored and use oversized pistons? Sorry to jump around so much. I'm just not positive on the build direction yet. This next build was on the calander for next year, I just saw the smoke and the oil pushing out the crank seal and got curious. The shop paperwork recommended a rebuild. Thats the last time I dont check here first.
                    Who reuilds heads [standard issue 83 1100] at a reasonable price? What head gaskets are good for turbos?

Comment

I would just hone & re-ring it. The head just needs to be checked to make sure the guides aren't loose. If the guides are worn then you will need guides & a valve job. If the guides are good then just new seals, a set of springs & lapping the valves is good. I do a LOT of cylinder heads & would recommend a set of Kibblewhite springs, even with stock cams, to keep the turbo boost from blowing the valves open. Also, what Terry said about the seal in the turbo. Get the turbo rebuilt to take care of that.
                      Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X