VESRAH head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VESRAH head gasket

Hi I have the cylinders off to replace a leaking base gasket, I have all Suzuki parts apart from the head gasket would love a Suzuki one but the price here £90uk 129$us it's an awful lot for one gasket
    are the vesrah ones that bad?
    What about Athena head gasket?
    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 02-17-2016, 07:24 AM.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

This issue polarises opinion like no other.
    Many experienced guys here draw a line and use Suzuki only based on years of personal experience.
    A local shop rebuilds a lot of 70s and 80s bikes including their own machines and swear by Athena. Some of this is down to availability.
    Others take the view that this is more about poor workmanship than poor gaskets although there has been reliable documented evidence of Athena base gaskets failing spectacularly turning to jelly.
    On my recent rebuild I went for a full set of NE gaskets and am happy with the results so far although the stem seals were a bit fragile ( or I was too rough ) and I replaced them with a set from Athena which went on much better.
    As a hobby builder I'm not too worried about learning my NE mistake in a year or two. Who knows it could well last for ten years. Worst case I earn stripes and join more experienced heads using oem only.
    If I was trying to earn a living from it I might go another way.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

With a choice of Vesrah (made in Japan) or Athena (made in Italy I think) I would go with Vesrah. I got mine (as a spare if I ever tear down the head) for £25 off ebay.
      The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

It was the green Athena base gaskets that were so evil. The head gasket didn't seem too bad. Understand though, if you go with a MLS style gasket, regardless of brand, you need a nice smooth and flat surface. MLS gaskets don't play happily with wavy or rough gasket surfaces.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have used Vesrah gaskets in the past with no problems. Just do it by the numbers.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

What about a Cometic gasket? http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/co...ith-69mm-bore/
            IBA# 12860
            Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
            1984 KZ1100R
            2008 Kawasaki KLR650
            2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
              The worst of all. I bought a Cometic GS850 head gasket a few years back, and it was a wavy, fuzzy, nasty POS that didn't fit. Lay it down on a flat surface, and it stuck up over an inch. The bores were visibly out of round, the oil passage holes were misaligned, and all the edges were fuzzy and crumbling.

Maybe my Cometic was made on a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning, but I've since seen some others and never seen a Cometic gasket I would bother installing.

The last Vesrah head gasket I saw was... not too bad, actually. And as far as I know, it's still out there working fine. Vesrah's base gaskets, o-rings, etc. have definitely slipped badly in quality, last I saw. Maybe they've fixed this, maybe they haven't. Who knows?

Honestly, it's simply not worth futzing around with cheap imitation crap. Skip a few beers, lattes, smokes, or whatever and pony up for the OEM gasket.
              Last edited by bwringer; 02-18-2016, 08:11 PM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X