Need help identifying this motor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying this motor.

I got this gs750 a few months ago and have been working on it some, fixing what the previous owner messed up. He had to get a new title for it and the title says 1983 but there are other parts on it, carbs, 4 to 1, etc. Haven't had any luck looking up the Vin or engine number on any websites. Can someone please help me determine the year and engine model? I need to know before I get into ordering parts what my Avenue should be. The engine number is GS75X-106909 and I'll attach a picture. Hope someone can help. I wanna put gs1100e cams in and upgrade from the Mac exhaust, tune the carbs and a sprocket kit and chain for a little hotter street able bike.
    Attached Files

That is an L model, 80-82 750 motor, unless there was an L model in 83. If you want to make it a better bike, put an 1100 motor in it.
    Ray.

Comment

Gotta LOVE the sticky tires.
      I ride many bikes.
      Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

Thanks Ray. I was thinking thats what it was but couldn't tell. I don't have quite the money to put a new motor in the way I wanna. I'm just gunna build the one I have and save some money. I have a machine shop and everything i need to do the work. I want to keep the 750 platform.

Comment

Ok but keep in mind that is the WORST engine Suzuki ever made & notorious for eating rod bearings. I know, I used to road race one. The 1100 engine will save you much headache down the line.
          Ray.

Comment

Dang really? I thought it was one of the best? Then again I have read a lot about how the cost cutting techniques they implemented around this time started turning their bikes into complete ****. I figure if I'm going to get into the engine I could replace some things anyways. I'f I can find a 1000 for a decent price I'll definitely reconsider but for now I gotta run what I brung.

Comment

I didn't think Suzuki made a 750 "L" with the 16 valve motor??
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Possibly just not down there Hillsy?
                Common enough here though.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
                  Yeah - fair call.

I don't think Suzuki even sold the L models in Oz - all the ones I've seen down here have been imports.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
                    Wait what? 16 valve?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodacious View Post
                      Wait what? 16 valve?
                      The motor in the pic the OP posted is a 16 valve motor.
                      Current:

Past:

Comment

OH ok, thanks. Really that's all I was needing to figure out, but judging from what I'm hearing about this motor I don't think I'm going to be doing any real engine mods. I'd hate to spend $1500 on motor work just to drop a bearing and have to start all over again.

Comment

Especially when you can find 1100 motors for less than that.
                          Ray.

Comment

Well everything I'm seeing says there was no L motor in 81, 82, 83. It would have to be an E to be a 16 valve. which still doesnt help me

Edit: It was the GSX that had a 16V head

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              Especially when you can find 1100 motors for less than that.
                              Ray.
                              I don't know where you're looking but I can't seem to find an 1100 anywhere for less that I could get a whole bike. Those engines aren't exactly a hot commodity and most people don't wanna give em up!

Comment

Working...
                              X