Fitting cylinders/ jugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting cylinders/ jugs

Has anyone tried fitting the Pistons into the cylinders then lowering the cylinders down and then connecting the wrist pins and snap rings?
    As opposed to fitting the wrist pins then lowering the cylinders onto the Pistons.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Without hesitation the answer to that is an unqualified yes. If you can think of it someone's tried it. Success is another matter. I seem to recall someone recently saying that is was near on impossible on a smaller capacity machine , a 550 or 650 I think.
    Are you trying to avoid the need for ring compressor stuff. There are a few ways to get the rings in using strips of paint buckets and hose clamps etc which work quite well even doing them two at a time.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Fingernails work even better.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Couldn't do it. Must be the fingers they are attached to
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

That's the way I do them, I use pieces of wood to hold the cylinders, then slowly pull the wood out after wrist pins are in. I always do them myself so this is the technique I use.
          1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
          1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I put my barrel onto my pistons on my gs550e myself with no assistance.
            No ring compressors and i used a block of wood to hold the barrel up.

I did 2 at a time. There seemed to be a reasonable lead into the cylinders
            and to be honest i was surprised it went in so easily.
            UKJULES
            ---------------------------------
            Owner of following bikes:
            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

I just used hose clamps and some plastic strips, went on very easy!IMG_0014.jpg

Comment

Steve and I did mine (GS550T) today using just our fingers to press the rings in and two blocks of wood to hold the center pistons.

Here's a diagram to make your own out of the 850 Clymers (still works for others)

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                X