GS1100 clutch chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 clutch chatter

My "new to me" '83 GS1100 just had its 75 mile shakedown ride, and there seems a problem (at least in my mind) with the clutch. When starting from a dead stop, if I don't rev to about 2K the clutch chatters. No slipping, just chatter. How much slack should be at the clutch lever when adjusted properly, and is the chatter endemic on the 1100 motor or is there something I can do/look for, I have not yet pulled the clutch cover. The motor has 12.5K, do not know service history. Thanks.
    1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
    1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
    1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
    1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

Jake
    The Rivets are a weak spot on the baskets on the 16V big block GS's. From what I can gather this has much to do with how the helical primary gear sheers against the rest of the basket... Anyway the basket can come off the primary gear under hard riding/loading. I had a GS750 with an 1100 swap that had a similar problem, generally a welded basket will cure the chatter issue(did for me). What you can do is see how loose the basket is to the primary gear(see if there is significant play on the basket to the primary gear with the hub, plates and fibers out), if there is significant play on the basket and/or if the springs in the basket are loose or show signs of wear I would highly recommend replacing the basket for a more beefed up setup.

Pretty common issue on these engines.

My 2 cents.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Can the loose rivets be welded or is a replacement required? And when you say beefed up, do you mean aftermarket or beefed up stock basket? Thanks.

Comment

This is the cheap way to repair the clutch

more expensive

CLUTCH HUB REBUILD
        For the do it yourselfer. Kit includes heavy duty springs, rivits and backing
        plate.

CHK1100 early 11 mm rivits
        CHK1150 late 11.9 mm rivits

$189.00

APE Trac King CLUTCH HUB ASSEMBLIES

The strongest modified clutch hub assemblies available. Consisting of our heavy duty clutch hub kits installed on customer supplied clutch hub. We must have a good clutch basket / gear assembly from the customer.

GHS1100 Suzuki GS1100/GS1150 $299.00
        You also want one of these: Could be your main problem.

SUZUKI HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH HUB NUT -
        CLUTCH HUB NUT
        The factory Suzuki hub nuts are soft, allowing the threads to deform and come loose. This allows the hub assembly to wobble. The APE nuts are CNC machined from heat treated chrome moly steel. End of problem.

SHN1150 Suzuki GS1100 / GS1150 $29.95
        Last edited by posplayr; 03-01-2016, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Thank you, this is the info I needed. I am pulling the clutch cover this weekend and will post results.

Comment

I ran an APE basket...
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Clutch "chatter" can be one, a combination, or all of the following:

- incorrectly adjusted clutch
              - loose clutch hub nut
              - outer basket play on the gear box spline, especially if your basket has the steel insert like this one:

- rattling springs on the outer clutch backing plate (unlikely to be the rivets - you would be really in trouble if it was):

- little rubber "anti-chatter" bung missing or damaged like this:

- lateral play as a result of the clutch hub spacer being slightly wider than the clutch hub. This problem was sort of cured on the GSX1100 / GS1150 engines by using a variable width shim to take up the slack.

Just some of the reasons they ALL rattle. Here are some of my clutch rattle vidoes:

For a GS; if it ain't rattling, it ain't running.
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Just so you know, those little rubber dowels have NOTHING to do with clutch chatter. I've been building & racing 1100s & 1150s since they were new. I've also been building clutch hubs almost as long.
                Ray.

Comment

Fair enough. Stand corrected.
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                  X