Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cylinder base gasket got ripped. Use it or wait for another new OEM gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cylinder base gasket got ripped. Use it or wait for another new OEM gasket?

Somehow, I ripped the base gasket right in middle of bore #2, on the rear side.

Words can not describe how "special" I feel...

I already bought another, will have to wait another week to attempt to re-assemble ( since Sept! )

So... would you guys try to glue it and use it?

I think a dab of "high tack" would get -er -done, but I don't want to risk another top-end job for being "too cheap" @ $20

Thoughts?
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Think you know what you have to do ! Wait for the other one and tear down once.
    No question.
    HOWEVER

I for one would like to know if you could tear a gasket and then use it with some
    gasket gunge sealer ?
    A mad thing to try as it could cause you a lot of work.
    I reckon some blue hylomol at the join would do it .... but who has the time for such R&D ?
    UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

As always, if you were absolutely desperate to have it back on the road - like life'n death / earning a living, kind of thing, and these gaskets simply weren't available any more, or if it was only going to be a show bike - sure, a careful dab of Hylomar might do.
      Otoh, none of that applies - so wait for the gasket and do it right.
      I know, I know, that's good coming from the Bodgeinator, but trust me - base gaskets are a total pita thing to cheap out on and the hassle of taking it all apart again...

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
      I for one would like to know if you could tear a gasket and then use it with some
      gasket gunge sealer ?
      Oh, I've been known to use the odd torn side gasket with success, but they're nothing like as important and easily changed if it doesn't work.
      Last edited by Grimly; 03-02-2016, 08:02 PM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
      X