Cam Chain Adjuster Service and Function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Adjuster Service and Function

She's a 1978 GS750 that I'm trying pull back from the abyss.

Here is a picture of the cam chain adjuster, and I've done nothing to test it to determine if it is functioning.

I can rotate the serrated knob against the coiled spring, so the spring seems to be loading something.

Do you think I should take this adjuster out and overhaul it in some manner?

Thanks.............
    Attached Files

Does your engine sound like a can of rocks on a paint shaker? If not, it's working. Does it leak oil all over the place? If it does it needs new orings and seals. If it's not, it's fine.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks tkent02. I did hear the old Suzy run briefly, but it ran very badly with the dull thud of an over-rich mixture. And it wouldn't rev out because of something, perhaps too much fuel from bad carbs. Here is a picture of the plugs.

But I don't think she was rattly harsh or loose sounding. So maybe I leave the tensioner as is.
      Attached Files

Comment

Woo Wee them are some dark looking plugs!

Comment

Originally posted by 520eek View Post
          Woo Wee them are some dark looking plugs!
          I think the PO was trying to fuel the Old Suzy with coal!!

Comment

Complete instructions:
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by WDHewson View Post
              Thanks tkent02. I did hear the old Suzy run briefly, but it ran very badly with the dull thud of an over-rich mixture. And it wouldn't rev out because of something, perhaps too much fuel from bad carbs. Here is a picture of the plugs.

But I don't think she was rattly harsh or loose sounding. So maybe I leave the tensioner as is.
              I would put it as a lower priority until you get the bike running well enough to see if there is excessive noise.
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

If you are into experimenting you can turn that big wheel anti-clock with the motor running. Slow and easy. Assuming the chain is good and the tensioner working you will begin to hear chain rattle as the tensioner backs off. Release the wheel and all is quiet again. At the very least you find out what chain noise sounds like.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Thanks bwringer for the link to the tutorial. I've read it and it looks excellent. I'll have to decide whether to leave it alone or go for the rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    If you are into experimenting you can turn that big wheel anti-clock with the motor running. Slow and easy. Assuming the chain is good and the tensioner working you will begin to hear chain rattle as the tensioner backs off. Release the wheel and all is quiet again. At the very least you find out what chain noise sounds like.
                    Thanks Brendan. That sounds like a worthy test of the tensioner system.

As you can see from this image the other day, I'll need some time to bring the components together to get her running.

My current task is servicing the ignition plate, points, and condensors.

I'm going to lift the cam cover to inspect the valve clearances very soon. With the "lid" off there may be obvious signs of the cam chain being sloppy. So I may learn more soon.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I just rebuilt my cam chain adjuster. It was leaking oil, looked nasty, and seemed to be not functioning properly. Got all new seals and o-rings for both of my GS 1100's, shipped to Calif. from Ron Ayers for $23.00. Since I had the carbs off anyway, it didn't take very much time or effort and the piece of mind is great! Piece of cake with carbs removed. PITA with carbs on the bike. All good now on 1 GS 1100GL.
                      just saying!
                      sbmisajw

Comment

Working...
                      X