Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs850g Locked up

Hey guys and and gals,

im having a transmission related issue with my current project bike. The engine while being rebuilt, used to cycle through the gears when pushing/pulling the shifter lever. The engine is back in the bike and the shift lever no longer moves, and it feels stuck. when I took the clutch housing back off I noticed the splined rod that comes out of the center of the clutch moves freely in and out.

The bike has the rear drive and shaft attached, and the wheel only moves a few inches back and forth.

why won't my shift lever move/how to fix this issue?

your shifter shaft is probably installed wrong.

Comment

Is the final drive locked up?

Comment

The final drive is all assembled and hooked up with the wheel, it is locked up, with a few inches of play in each direction

Comment

The crank case was never split nor the transmission/clutch were ever touched. The rebuild really only involved the cylinders and above, as the crank assembly appeared to be in good working condition. I was able to cycle through The gears before and after the rebuild. So I not think its the shifter shaft, unless it can be dislodged?

Comment

Originally posted by FastGTO View Post
            The final drive is all assembled and hooked up with the wheel, it is locked up, with a few inches of play in each direction
            I guess what I meant was did it cycle through the gears without the final drive hooked up? Maybe the final drive itself is locked up and not the transmission. But that's all just a guess. Sorry

Comment

I've had this happen before - sticky shifter drum and /or one of the gears in mesh doesn't want to unmesh. It's not permanent and if you turn the clutch by hand while putting a bit of pressure on the shift lever it will probably free up. When running, it never happens, as the parts are being subjected to vibration, rotation and lots of hot oil.
              If you're absolutely sure nothing could have got down the crankcase while you were doing the barrels, then it's likely temporary.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
              X