valve guide seal removal and replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve guide seal removal and replacement

Hi, what are the suggestions for removing the old valve seals and putting in new ones. I am not able to remove them with just my fingers. This is on a gs550 engine and bucket hole is a bit small. Figured I would ask first before doing it the hard/wrong way.

TIA

You won't get them off with your fingers. Try some thin nose pliers and gently wiggle and twist them before pulling.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Agree. A tool is necessary. I have seen pliers that had "teeth" on them that would reach under and grab. Think about it like a dog's fangs, without all the rest of his teeth. Wiggle, twist, rock, pull them off. There is a groove around the top of the valve guide, a lip on the rubber seal fits into it. Over the years, the rubber has gotten hard, you just need to convince it that it wants to leave that location.

Comment

thanks = I will try some needle nose pliers - don't want to ding the bucket bore.

Comment

a old spoke is great, Hook the head under the oil seal and pull up. Be carefull u dont snag the valve guide lip. This works great for the genuine steel seals. Maybe even bend the spoke 4 inches from the head for better grip

Comment

I bought some long nosed pliers and use them on my 550.
            You will wreck the seal but it is not usable again anyway.

like the idea of a bike spoke - will try that next time
            UKJULES
            ---------------------------------
            Owner of following bikes:
            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

needle nosed worked - crucial to give them a spin to break them loose before pulling them - thanks

Comment

Sometimes they can leave bits behind hidden in the groove. Make sure it's all out before fitting the new set.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

yes - nothing left behind in the groove - that's what she said

Comment

I gave up on the pulling and used a propane torch. It's a little stinky but you don't risk breaking those brittle cast iron guides. You need to burn that stiff old rubber.

Comment

search youtube. I saw a video there on how to do it easy.
                      1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                      1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                      1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                      Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Working...
                      X