Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crack in engine case - can it be repaired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crack in engine case - can it be repaired?

During the rebuild of my 84 GS1100GKE, I found a crack in the upper engine case where the nose of the countershaft comes out. The crack is between the 'C' clip retainer and the clutch housing (see the picture).
    CrackedFlange.jpg

Can this be repaired? Does it need to be?

I'd weld it

Not a major stress place, and what do you have to lose having it MIG welded?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Mine cracked off. It was hanging on one side for awhile.

GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

OK, Thanks Bill.
        I will talk to a guy I know from a local metalwork shop, and have him do it.

Any idea why that crack would have formed where it did?

Comment

@Carter...I thought mine was bad

Comment

Take the clip retainer with you so the welder can set it on place as to not collapse the groove during the repair.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Good point...will do.

Comment

Originally posted by esolliday View Post
                OK, Thanks Bill.
                I will talk to a guy I know from a local metalwork shop, and have him do it.

Any idea why that crack would have formed where it did?
                I think it had to do fitting the transmission shaft into the cases. I believe wave washers are on the other end of shaft, in board of the bearing, sometimes the c-clip isn't aligned over its groove. Not much aluminum on the other side of the c-ring.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by esolliday View Post
                  During the rebuild of my 84 GS1100GKE, I found a crack in the upper engine case where the nose of the countershaft comes out. The crack is between the 'C' clip retainer and the clutch housing (see the picture).
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]44756[/ATTACH]

Can this be repaired? Does it need to be?
                  That is a NON issue & a waste of time & money to mess with. You run the chance of distorting the case & causing an oil leak that it doesn't even have.
                  Ray.

Comment

Working...
                  X