Tach drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach drive

My tach has stopped working on my 83 GS1100L and I have taken the cable off twice and put it back together only to have it run for a few minutes and then quit again. What am I doing wrong? Everything worked fine until I pulled the head. Did I screw something up putting this thing back together? Is this a common problem?

Jason

Either your cable is broken, or you need to lubricate the bearings in your tach. They like to dry out after all these years.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Check the ends of the cable (especially where it meshes with the drive gear) -
      My 850 had a similar problem and the end that fits into the slot was ground down..
      Someone (
      ) had tightened the cable in without being sure it was meshed well nor properly.
      A NEW cable and some careful application solved the issue...
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Just went down to the shop and pulled it off. Its broken. How did I miss this? Three times no less. Well, anyway, easy fix.

Comment

Working...
        X