Clutch / Shift Forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch / Shift Forks?

Now that I've had some time to ride the bike, beyond the first test ride. I've noticed a couple issues. One the clutch slips above 6.5 sometimes 7k when hard rolled on. And also if i let off the gas and slow down ( i know brakes are for slowing , engine is for going ) i hear a metal slap / and can feel it in the shifter.

I've searched about adjusting the clutch and from what i understand i need to tinker with, this?

And for the noises does anyone know about the shift forks having issues? 23k on the clock and nothing looks like it was beat on, the rear sprocket has all its teeth and not curved. The tires show normal wear, theres no huge rattling noise from the cams or a

What bike is this? Take the cover off and adjust the worm screw first, as per the manual. If you don't get that right the adjustment you circled will not be effective.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Looks like a 550, yeah the worm gear.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes its an 82 GS550M, sorry new to the forum thought my bike would be listed by my name. I think i found an online manual says for an 83, but the picture of the lock screw is zoomed in The case i take off, is it the cover that you can see in my first picture, the manual only shows this

Comment

Take the cover off - it's in there somewhere! Not sure about the 550 but on the 750 there is a smaller cover (part of the larger) which gives you access.
          Last edited by allojohn; 04-01-2016, 10:26 AM.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Here's the manual for the '82 550
            -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

The important thing is that there has to be a little bit of slack in the mechanism, so the pushrod isn't touching all the time. Same with the cable, little bit of slack. It's not real clear in the manual.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thanks gents, i'll get exploring. Thinking just a cover means i don't need a gasket when getting to said part.

Comment

You are correct, no gasket there.

When it comes time to adjust, start at the top, loosen up all you can at the clutch lever. Screw that adjuster IN as far as you can. Then go to the bottom. Take the cover off, adjust the worm (helix) so there is just a little bit of play. Put the cover on, adjust the cable (your area circled in red) so there is just a little bit of play. Finally, fine-tune the adjustment at the lever so there is just a little bit of play. That should give you maximum separation of the clutch plates when you pull the lever.

If your clutch still slips at upper RPM, replace the springs. A set of OEM springs will be about $20, a gasket for the cover might be about $10. Measure your fiber disks while you have it open, but they are likely OK. Don't bother getting "heavy-duty" springs. Stock ones work just fine, especially on your smaller engine.
                  If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
                  X