Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak

If oil is leaking from the front of the valve cover gasket, is there enough pressure in there to shoot a mist of oil on to the back of the front fender? 1983 GS1100E
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Shouldn't be any pressure in there at all, but hot oil will fly everywhere. I got some on my front fender today.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Shouldn't be any pressure in there at all, but hot oil will fly everywhere. I got some on my front fender today.
      Got a closer look today. It's the head gasket leaking right in front of the timing chain.
      sigpic

Comment

Are you sure it's not the tach drive? They're notorious for leaking and the oil will migrate down.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Are you sure it's not the tach drive? They're notorious for leaking and the oil will migrate down.
          I cleaned it up and started it and I could see bubbles coming through the gasket. It also makes sense because the pressure was pushing oil out of the case gasket near the right side. I'm hoping that with a good head gasket, the rest of the motor will stay dry and clean.
          sigpic

Comment

Partzilla has the Suzuki OEM head gasket for $75 and the valve cover gasket for $24. Is that the best choice?
            sigpic

Comment

If you're blowing gaskets, you blowby isn't getting vented out, that is not oil pressure in those places. Clutch cover has no oil pressure in it, and neither does the head gasket in that place by the cam chain. Should be vented to atmosphere, so no pressure at all there.

Comment

Add to your list of things to buy a new OEM base gasket. Removing the head almost certainly unseats the base gasket and that will be the place of your next leak.

Agreed with tkent02 that you need to verify that your valve cover vent is open and clear. Improper venting can cause numerous leaks.
                http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

If you're blowing gaskets, you blowby isn't getting vented out, that is not oil pressure in those places. Clutch cover has no oil pressure in it, and neither does the head gasket in that place by the cam chain. Should be vented to atmosphere, so no pressure at all there.
                  If the head gasket is bad, couldn't the pressure from the cylinder be pushing into the crankcase creating the pressure that is making the oil spray on to the back of the fender? But yes I do see your point and will look for that now.

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                  Add to your list of things to buy a new OEM base gasket. Removing the head almost certainly unseats the base gasket and that will be the place of your next leak.
                  Great (sarcasm). How much more work to do the case gasket. It is leaking and I might as well do it too.
                  sigpic

Comment

No sarcasm, he's trying to help you. And no, if the crankcase is ventilated properly there won't be any pressure to build up. Did you buy an aftermarket gasket for the breather cover?

Comment

No sarcasm, he's trying to help you. And no, if the crankcase is ventilated properly there won't be any pressure to build up. Did you buy an aftermarket gasket for the breather cover?
                      No, I meant my sarcasm. I know he was trying help. You know how you say "great" with a big sigh and don't really mean great, you mean "crap this just keeps getting deeper." That's why I put (sarcasm) so it would be clear that I understood that what he was saying, while helpful, was not actually going to feel great in either time or money.

And thank you for your help. (Genuinely)
                      sigpic

Comment

Dont be fooled by the two head nuts (under the valve cover) that have orings on them. This notoriously resembles head gasket leaks.

Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-09-2016, 11:03 AM.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                          Dont be fooled by the two head bolts (under the valve cover) that have orings on them. This notoriously resembles head gasket leaks.

I've seen those Dave but I'm not sure what you mean. (Edit: Oh, I see. If the seals are leaking the oil will come out the front exactly where my problem is!)

...if the crankcase is ventilated properly there won't be any pressure to build up. Did you buy an aftermarket gasket for the breather cover?
                          Breather cover was in place when I got it--and, oddly, the vent is not only not blocked but I had forgotten to check it and it was open--no airbox and no alternate plan for lack of tube to airbox. So now I really have no idea were the pressure is coming from to push the oil out.
                          Last edited by glib; 04-09-2016, 02:59 AM. Reason: Added comment
                          sigpic

Comment

Bonanzadave, that suggestion prompted me to go ahead and do a compression check which I should have thought of before and my pressures are all pushing 180. So I think you are most likely correct with those O-rings. Do they have to be a specific material? And can I replace them and re-torque just those bolts or do I have to re-torque the entire head?
                            sigpic

Comment

Order the OEM o-rings -- don't install o-rings from the hardware store.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X