Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glib View Post
    can I replace them and re-torque just those bolts or do I have to re-torque the entire head?
    I did with no noticeable ill effects and it did stop my leak. But I would run it by a guy like Ray who knows the inside of these engines like the back of his hand.

We talked about it here a couple years ago....

Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-09-2016, 11:04 AM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Order the OEM o-rings -- don't install o-rings from the hardware store.
      Thank you. I will. Just so inconvenient when you discover a simple inexpensive item and on a rainy day anyway!

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      I did with no noticeable ill effects and it did stop my leak. But I would run it by a guy like Ray who knows the inside of these engines like the back of his hand.

We talked about it here a couple years ago....

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad-bolt-orings
      Great idea--thanks for the link...
      Last edited by glib; 04-09-2016, 12:21 PM. Reason: Addl comment
      sigpic
      1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
      1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
      1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
      On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
      All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

ok, this is just the thread I've been looking for...I think. I have an oil leak that recently started at the front of the head at the 6mm bolt at center of cam chain tunnel. Or that's where it looks like it's coming from. I tried an epoxy putty patch, but no go...these nuts are inside the valve cover but will leak to the exterior of the engine??? What am I missing here???. My 1100e has a recurrence of a crankcase leak at the front, right where the #4 crank throw would run. Patched that with epoxy and it held for 5k or so, no seeping again. Is that what original poster was referring to with his case leak??? I'd love to get these leaks sealed, they're the only flaw in an awesomely running daily driver '83 GS1100e...

edit to say...just went out and looked at my bike, it has external studs at the front, so I see what I was missing...good to know...
        Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2016, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Crankcase vents through the snout on the valve cover. There is a screen affair under and it is possible that it is clogged up; that is the ONLY way for pressure to build up that I can see which would cause various gaskets to spring a leak. You might want to pick up a new gasket for that cover up on top and remove it and see if everything is clean under the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by fast eddie 52 View Post
            ok, this is just the thread I've been looking for...I think. I have an oil leak that recently started at the front of the head at the 6mm bolt at center of cam chain tunnel. Or that's where it looks like it's coming from. I tried an epoxy putty patch, but no go...these nuts are inside the valve cover but will leak to the exterior of the engine??? What am I missing here???. My 1100e has a recurrence of a crankcase leak at the front, right where the #4 crank throw would run. Patched that with epoxy and it held for 5k or so, no seeping again. Is that what original poster was referring to with his case leak??? I'd love to get these leaks sealed, they're the only flaw in an awesomely running daily driver '83 GS1100e...

edit to say...just went out and looked at my bike, it has external studs at the front, so I see what I was missing...good to know...
            FYI, I did get OEM O-rings for the two head bolts as mentioned earlier in this thread and it did seem to take care of the oil leak at the front of the cam chain tunnel. However, I have only test ridden this bike so I don't have time on the bike to confirm. The lower leak from the cases won't be fixed without removing the engine.
            sigpic
            1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
            1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
            1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
            On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
            All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Working...
            X