Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Years of lurking, first post. I need help guys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years of lurking, first post. I need help guys.

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for a few years it seems since I acquired my 81' GS850GL.
    Didn't run, mouse nest in carb #3, petcock leaked and wrecked all the gaskets, etc.
    Got it running recently, cylinder #3 was cold on the exhaust pipe, and #1 was cool. 2 and 4
    were holy hell fire hot. Then.... I noticed some oil running out of on top of the driver's (left) side
    stator cover. At least I hoped it was stator cover I just torqued down. But no, it was my base gasket,
    more than likely that pear o ring for that oil galley. Sprayed starting fluid in that spot, bubbled through,
    rpm's might have jumped don't remember. Did the same thing on the exhaust side by #3 except in between
    the head and cylinders vs base and cylinders. Rpm's jumped and starting fluid bubbled too. I pulled the engine,
    then stripped the frame, then bought a dremel, and a sandblaster, lost some friends, etc hahaha. Finally thought after
    this weekend I was going to have time to work on it other than during the week and I was going to be on my way going back
    together by next weekend. Everything is ready for paint right now as of tonight. 40 lbs of extra large grade Armex
    baking soda later....

So my friend was helping me and I wasn't going to do the case and the pistons tonight, only the cylinders and head
    since I finally got the valves out and the stuck shim bucket -.- Well long story short there's a substantial amount of
    baking soda in the crank now. Anyway to remedy this, or am I going to have to split the cases? The manuals diagram
    isn't the best or maybe I'm just fed up and tired. Was thinking if I blew out what I could then dropping the pan and
    running oil through the top and letting it drain out. Wishful thinking I know, not sure if its just going to sludge up or
    be a real abrasive problem. I just want to ride already hahaha. Engine and everything is CLEAN though. Was gonna shine
    it up but I may try to paint it gloss. Hell if I'm splitting the cases I might as well get it powder coated. Please let me know
    your opinions. Was searching for some better pictures or explanation on splitting the case, I'm worried about detents and
    springs and anything like that flying out, I'm used to that was farm tractor trannys and skid steers. For the most part
    I've been gung ho about this, maybe the rainy weather is bumming me or the fact my friend got 10 lbs of baking soda in there.
    One more thing to learn I suppose. I guess its just rtv no gasket? Sorry for the rambling and such a long post. Thank you everyone ahead of time and for this website,
    would never have made it a fraction of this far!

Sincerely,
    Tommy G.

If the motor is already partially apart, (sounds like it is) might as well get familiar with the rest of it, to make sure it clean of blasting media.
    I'd follow the manual sequence on removing/installing case bolts.
    Use cardboard and draw a rough picture of the cases, and poke holes where the bolts should go.
    There are a couple of pry points on the cases, where a bolt with a couple of nuts, can pry the cases apart.
    It might release without any fuss, if you're lucky and removed every bolt and plate holding the cases together.

If you do decide to split the cases, pay attention to the c-ring locations and the orientation of the shift shaft paw and any engine aligning dowels.
    There's a weird spring that hooks to the case webbing for the shift detent and a couple rubber o-rings between the cases you don't wanna forget.

If you have money for powder coating, then one can probably afford engine bearing seals/gaskets, and the like.
    Never dealt with a shafty though.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Clearly you already know your answer, the whole thing has to come apart. How else could you be assured that the case is clear of media? Yes, the seal is just Black RTV. I get the frustration, especially if you went in not planning to do a complete rebuild, but once its done you will likely never put enough miles on that bike to need to do it again.

You got this man!

Comment

Baking soda is water soluble.
        <hint>
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

"ARMEX is a baking soda based (sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3) media manufactured by the makers of ARM & HAMMER®"

So why couldn't you pull the pan and rinse out the remaining powder with water? Then place the engine where it would dry quickly.

Comment

Pull the oil pan and set it on a 5 gallon bucket. get 3 or 4 gallons of diesel and dump down the holes for the pistons and rods in the lower cases and flush it out. Can even tip it upside down on a longer storage bin and dump from the oil and let it run out the piston holes.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Pull the oil pan and set it on a 5 gallon bucket. get 3 or 4 gallons of diesel and dump down the holes for the pistons and rods in the lower cases and flush it out. Can even tip it upside down on a longer storage bin and dump from the oil and let it run out the piston holes.

Yeah, I was thinking something like that... I think I'm just going to split the case tomorrow night after work. No special tools required? I want to make sure everything is out of there, its water soluble but it seems to just gum up and not move to well, next thing I know I'm going to be shredding up crank bearings. Gah, haven't done anything half ass so far, not going to start now. Thanks for the replies guys, I'll let you know how it goes, once I get it together I'll put up some pictures.

Thanks again,
              Tommy G.

81' GS850GL

Comment

Working...
              X