Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

play/wiggle in clutch primary gear - is it ok? also hairline cracks on clutch disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

play/wiggle in clutch primary gear - is it ok? also hairline cracks on clutch disk

So have a wobble in #1 "gear, primary driven"and #11 "disk,clutch pre" has some fine cracks

(btw - is there a place where to get schematics that end in .jpg so we can link here easily?)

also wondering about the ridges on the primary gear

bike has 14k mi, I put on the last 6k mi with easy riding. Had strong springs in there for the last 3k? miles. previous springs were shorter than spec. strong springs are longer than spec. ordered and will install OEM spec springs.

with strong springs the rear wheel spun when elevated and idle was affected when in 1st gear and stopped with clutch engaged - more so when engine cold. I spec'ed the drive and driven plates and they are in spec and not warped.

thoughts?

1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Those "cracks" are normal. I think they are more molding marks than actual cracks but regardless, don't worry.

Notches in the basket are normal too. If they get too deep the clutch discs can hang up on them but what you have going on there shouldn't be a problem.

It's also normal for there to be some play between the basket and the driven gear. That play can cause noise at idle and worst case, the hub can blow apart under power. It's mostly the bigger bikes that have the grenading hub issues though, not the 750's. For the bigger bikes you can buy heavy duty springs and back plate kits. Not sure about the 750 though.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Agreed. Everything looks and sounds perfectly normal to me as well.

Those marks are sometimes called casting flow marks, and they've been the cause of many a worried/angry/despondent post on many motorcycle forums.

Install new OEM clutch springs (these sag over the years, but the "heavy duty" aftermarket springs are way too stiff) and rock on.

GS clutch plates and fibers are nearly indestructible and usually last the life of the bike unless you do something really stupid and/or drag race.
      Last edited by bwringer; 05-12-2016, 02:28 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        GS clutch plates and fibers are nearly indestructible and usually last the life of the bike unless you do something really stupid and/or drag race.
        yeah, that makes me wonder since the fibers are non-oem put on by PO.

Any comment on the 'dragging' clutch issue I described?
        1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
        1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
        1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

I'm not so sure those worn notches are not part of a dragging issue. I have certainly seen worse notes but those might be big enough to have an effect on how the clutch works. File them out and see if it gets smoother and releases better.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

For the ultimate in smooth clutch action, when you change your springs, also get an OEM clutch cable. An aftermarket cable will feel just as smooth (at first), but will not last as long as OEM.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              For the ultimate in smooth clutch action, when you change your springs, also get an OEM clutch cable. An aftermarket cable will feel just as smooth (at first), but will not last as long as OEM.
              or convert it to hydraulic clutch
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

On my first GS1000 I removed the clutch hub back plate and added shims on the stock hub springs, and then welded the stock back plate back on. There was no more rattle noise but otherwise the bike felt same as before the mod.

Another bike I bought had heavy duty clutch hub springs and back plate, and that bike has great clutch feel, and of course no noise either. It's a worthy mod if you plan on keeping the bike around for a long time.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  or convert it to hydraulic clutch
                  Why, when they are feather pull clutches anyway? One pinky alone is enough if everything is as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Why, when they are feather pull clutches anyway? One pinky alone is enough if everything is as it should be.
                    Because i can!
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

OK, That's the best reason.

Maybe I need one on my 550/675 after all.

Did you convert one from another motorcycle or make the whole thing from scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        OK, That's the best reason.

Maybe I need one on my 550/675 after all.

Did you convert one from another motorcycle or make the whole thing from scratch?
                        B12 master and slave, made the rest myself
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
                          yeah, that makes me wonder since the fibers are non-oem put on by PO.

Any comment on the 'dragging' clutch issue I described?
                          I've tried Barnett and EBC clutch plates...and they do feel more grabby/notchy than stock. May even damage the basket
                          more than stock, with dents, don't know for sure.
                          Currently running FBG (Fast by Gast) fibers, with original steels. Seems fine, its been a while since I had stock fibers.
                          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                          X