Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to do to my new (to me) GS650.

Hey Gents.
    I'm new to this 650 mill. I've owned a couple 550's with the pure intention of flipping but with this 81 650L, I intend on keeping for a good chunk of time. This is my First Shaft drive GS and my first GS650.

I was looking for the scoop on what are good things to be aware of on this shaft driven GS. Bike is 100% stock and runs very well. Are there things I need to be wary of? True displacement is 670cc correct? Does this 8V engine have the same susceptibility to leaky valve guides like the other 2V per cylinder head design?

One thing I'm dabbling with is power adders such as Pods or high flow air filter with a jet kit or re-jet. I want to keep the stock, quiet, mint 4-2 exhaust. I know the 750's and 1100's did very well with pods and a jet kit, curious if this smaller mill does just as well or am I better off leaving stock. I really don't want to compromise reliability but if I'm leaving some power on the table I think the bike would be a tad more fun with a tad more power. I just don't want to harm long term reliability. I'd consider a re gear... But that not possible on a shafty.

Lastly I want to touch base on possible oil coolers for this bike. I overheated my GS750 too many times (mainly because I was a young 23 year old moron) but I do know these bikes do overheat easily in hot weather. Is there options on these bikes to upgrade to an oil cooler? I'll be more conscious of over heating now but would like to prevent it if at all possible.

Anyway my primary objective is to ensure the bike lives as long as it can however I do intend on riding it often and far especially to Meets and Rallies. I'd like to get the best performance out of it without compromising reliability. I beat the snot out of my 16V 750 and if I was a little nicer to it I'm sure it would still run today. I don't intend on thrashing this bike but do intend on riding it hard and far. I just want to ensure I can keep it minty yet usable as long as possible.
    Thanks for you indulgence.
    -Jedz
    Last edited by Jedz123; 05-14-2016, 10:59 AM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

It will live a long time if you keep oil in it. If you want more power wind it out. You can mess with pods but it won't gain very much, will lose the really smooth running at all elevations, the good gas mileage and the ease of maintenance unless you are an expert tuner and spend a lot of time and effort on it. The 650 carbs are a bitch to remove with the stock airbox but it is possible, you just have to take a bunch of stuff apart. 650s go good unless you need to accelerate hard from 100mph on up, or unless you compare it with your 1400... The 550 cams will let it wind out forever, but you will lose some low end grunt and some gas mileage. (this is from what I have learned putting 650 cams in my 550, haven't tried 550 cams in the 650 but it should do about the same thing) The two valve heads had a lot more cooling fin area than the four valve heads, they won't overheat unless something isn't tuned right. Even in the desert in summer, even stuck in traffic, even going up long hot grades. Have more experience with 550s than 650s, but the 550s don't get too hot no matter what you do to them. 650s are good engines, but there are a few differences from the rest of the GS line. Plain bearing cranks. They don't have the problems the plain bearing 750s had, but oil is important. The transmission gears work differently, read about it, I can't remember the details. The oil in the secondary drive is common with the engine oil, but there are two drain plugs, only one filler plug. Different from the other shafties. Read about it before you change your oil.

Like anything else, get it working perfectly and ride it a while before you change anything, the 650s are great bikes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      ...unless you are an expert tuner and spend a lot of time and effort on it.

Like anything else, get it working perfectly and ride it a while before you change anything...
      I would think if you are an expert tuner (and have a dyno) you wouldn't have to spend a lot of time and effort.

Got to agree with the last statement - if it ain't broke don't fix it.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        I would think if you are an expert tuner (and have a dyno) you wouldn't have to spend a lot of time and effort.
        To get it working right in all conditions, at all elevations, and to get the fuel efficiency it gets with the stock intake system would take a LOT of dyno time, if it could be done at all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Jed call me some evening after 5, I can share some of my experiences with my son's bike.

PM headed your way, in case you have lost my number.

. The
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's for the information Tkent! I appreciate some of those pointers. The bike just had the carbs restored and is using the stock jets for the stock exhaust and air box. So I'll be leaving that alone then. Oil and filter was just changed by my trusted local shop(PO had it fully serviced there). I aksed my shop and they told me the bike was in exceptional running condition when it left them and the PO dropped big coin to ensure it was 100% road worthy.

I'll be leaving it stock... It's not broke so I ain't fixing it.

Steve! Glad to see you pinging on the forum again! I'll shoot you a call at some point! I'm away taking my girlfriend on a weekend getaway in the White Mountains so this weekend will be tough. I'll try to reach out... It's just crazy with work as of late and it's only going to get worse till June 13th... Then it's super slow time and I can take a vacation.

Thanks for the input!
            Best
            -Jedz
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
            X