Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 79´Cylinder base gasket leak

Hello there,

I have a GS750 79´ that have had an oil cooler installed at some point. One of the previous owners have disconnected the wire that goes to the oil pressure switch, so I suspect that the oil lamp had become untrustworthy because of the oil cooler system.

My problem is, that I think there is a leak in the cylinder base gasket(it sounds like there is blowing air out from that area and there is coming smoke from that area when I turn on the bike), and the engine is leaking oil. Is it possible that it is because my bike actually needs more oil than just between max/min in the oil inspection after the oil cooling system has been installed - and that is why the gasket has dried out?

And my second question is: How do I replace the gasket?

Thank you for reading my post.

Originally posted by Bosteen View Post
    One of the previous owners have disconnected the wire that goes to the oil pressure switch, so I suspect that the oil lamp had become untrustworthy because of the oil cooler system.

if he pressure switch is disconnected the oil light light does not work or does it?

My problem is, that I think there is a leak in the cylinder base gasket(it sounds like there is blowing air out from that area and there is coming smoke from that area when I turn on the bike), and the engine is leaking oil. Is it possible that it is because my bike actually needs more oil than just between max/min in the oil inspection after the oil cooling system has been installed - and that is why the gasket has dried out

As far as the blowing and smoke are concerned I can only think it's coming from the crankcase vent if that is the case there must be a lot of blow past the piston rings. The oil level is best at the max level however if it's between max & min it's ok this has nothing to do with the base gasket drying out as you describe.
    If you clean dry and spray foot/talc powder around the base gasket start the bike you will see if it's leaking and where from.

And my second question is: How do I replace the gasket?

Are you sure it's leaking from the Base gasket? Get a workshop manual from bikecliffes website read and digest and if you feel fairy confident and have the tools have a go it's a fairly expensive repair and time consuming.

Thank you for reading my post.
    [/QUOTE]
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Working...
    X