GS850 clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 clutch issue

When I took my 1980 gs850 out today, as soon as I shifted from neutral to 1st, the engine dies. This is happening with the clutch lever pulled in fully. I adjusted the clutch cable at the top and on the engine case in some-still dies, out some-still dies. Am I correct that this bike doesn't have a side stand cutoff switch? It doesn't even seem to lurch forward when it dies, it just cuts out. Just rode it yesterday and didn't have this issue. I'm still green at wrenching on my GS, so any input would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2016, 04:43 PM.

You should look to see if you have a side stand switch or not.

Comment

The side stand switch, if it had one, only lights up a light. It wouldn't male the engine quit like a modern bike. That came later. Unless the wiring is really messed up.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Could I just be dealing with clutch plates sticking? If so can I just take them out and clean them to solve the problem, assuming there's no obvious damage to them?

Comment

What happens if you pull the clutch in and try to start the engine while in 1st? I'm betting that it's just sticking clutch plates from sitting but I would think the bike would try to move forward when you shift into gear.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

If it was sticking plates you would get some kind of a lurch engaging first. Easy way to eliminate it would be to select first with the bike on the main stand or rolling down a slight incline.
            This sounds more of an electrical problem. Check that the wire from the signal generator hasn't come loose and burned insulation off the exhaust. With the bike idling wiggle the ignitor plug.
            Check the battery terminals for tightness.
            When it cuts out does the oil pressure lamp come on with the neutral ?
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

A sticking clutch would give that characteristic lurch before it died. I think it has to be some sort of electrical problem and the only thing that would be a dead ringer for his symptom was a bad side-stand switch. Definitely see if it will start in 1st (or 2nd too).

Comment

Again, the side stand switch can't kill the engine on this bike. All it does is turn on a dim red light that no one ever notices...

However, the clutch switch circuit can kill the bike. That's one place to look.

With the engine idling normally at 1,100 rpm or so, there would be an almighty crunch and lurch if the trouble was the clutch plates sticking.

What's likely happening is that the clutch cable moves slightly when you let it out, and it's rubbing up against a wire or connection with some defect (shorted, damaged, etc.). Pull the tank off and carefully inspect everything near or touching the clutch cable. Work the clutch and see how the cable moves slightly and go from there.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have an 80 GS1000GL and there is no side stand switch as my bike has mostly the same electrical stuff. Let's be clear on what is happening. Details are kind of important to diagnosing the problem. You have it on center Stand. Clutch is pulled in and you snick it into first. It dies at this point or when you try easing the clutch out? If it happens when the clutch is eased out, try dumping the clutch abruptly... this might dislodge clutch plates that are stuck together... they do this because oil is between the plates and a phenomenon called hydrostatic tension occurs.... The oils bonds the plates but can be busted loose easily enough if the clutch is popped.

The alternative is to take the bike off center stand and without the bike running, put it in first and try and push it ahead as hard as possible. Is this bike a shaft drive? If not, then you might have dropped a screwdriver in the chain or something of the sort and you should inspect the chain to see it turns freely in neutral. I have seen bolts work out in the countershaft sprocket cover that have locked the chain/countershaft sprocket and it won't turn.... nothing to do with the clutch. If it is a shaft, I don't think there is anything that can stop the shaft from turning because of this type issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X