Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbe GS 850L question. Tach reading at 70 MPH ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbe GS 850L question. Tach reading at 70 MPH ?

This is the first Suzuki that I have ever owned. Got it last month. It is a 1983 GS 850 L with 12,800 original miles. What a great Motorcycle. After a little detailing, some new Spark plugs and some Startron treatments, I was able to get out for a Highway ride. How many RPM should I be turning at 70 mph ??? I was at almost 5,000 @ 70 mph. Is that too high, or tach reading is incorrect. Thanks.

That's probably about right. These engines like to spin.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thats real close to my 850G. I pull just above 5000 at 70 and somewhere very close to 6000 at 80.

Comment

Thank you for your help. Ride Safe.

Comment

This might help a bit. My wife shot this over my shoulder a few years ago on my 850G(K).

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

might help to let us know what gear you were in?
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Spin to win!

Grip it and rip it!

Yes, seriously, the GS850 loves to spin. The real fun begins at 6,000 rpm. These bikes are an absolute hoot once you unlock the secrets of the top third of the tach.

No, you're not going to hurt a thing. These engines are extremely durable -- you can spin 6,000 rpm at 80mph all day and all night if you need to. Or, for the most fun, tackle a tight twisty road, notch down a gear or two, and keep the engine boiling above 6,000.

Here's a demonstration (yes, that's the bone-stock exhaust, although I think the camera was picking up some vibes that made it sound much louder than it actually is):

And yes, what you report is pretty normal RPM/speed (see Steve's pic above). Bear in mind that 35 year old instruments are not exactly the most precise, so all we can say is "yeah, that's about right".

Stop putt-putting around like a little old man (even if you are). Put aside low-tech Harley-based thinking and embrace the rev religion. Join us on the high side of the tach...
              Last edited by bwringer; 05-17-2016, 12:24 PM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

No, you're not going to hurt a thing. These engines are extremely durable -- you can spin 6,000 rpm at 80mph all day and all night if you need to.
                And they will last for hundreds of thousands of miles doing this. Chugging small, air cooled engines designed for high RPM use does them no good. Wastes fuel, wears the engines out, bores the rider. Wind it out!
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                X