Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knocking / clanking sound

Hey guys,

I have just developed a bad noise in the motor of my '82 GS850GLZ. I am doing a make over on it and have adjusted the valves to specs, clean carbs, replaced idle jets, replaced all O-rings in carbs, rebuilt airbox with new filter, changed oil and filter, new exhaust gaskets, cleaned up pipes, new intake boots and seals. I went for a 5 mile ride after adjusting the valves and found I was burning too rich.

compression check cold #1 - 120 #2 - 115 #3 - 120 #4 - 110

So while attempting to adjust mixture screws on the carbs one more time, this noise developed. It sounds terrible, and coming from the right hand side. Par for course, one step forward, two steps back. By the way, pulling in the clutch makes no difference.

Any thoughts on this noise .... rod, cam, tensioner, something ??

Thanks

I didn't listen ,cuz my hearing is poor. I'd pull cam cover off and take a look. Pull spark plugs and spin engine via crankshaft nut and see if something jumps out.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That is cam walk. Many threads on the subject here. It doesn't hurt anything. Notice how it stops once you get above about 1500 rpm? Many of the GS bikes do that, including mine. Seems to happen only at certain temperatures, not all the time. Mine seems to do it mostly when it's in the garage when I'm tinkering. Take it for a ride.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Just a thought. Ever adjusted the valve clearances before. You will note that you can put in a new shim and measure the clearance but once you turn the engine over a few times, the shim will settle through the oil into the bottom of the tappet. This causes clearances to be too wide and this can set up a racket. It may not be what is causing your racket though.

I listened to the video and the sound doesn't sound right to me. I am not sure how the insides of your engine work but the crankshaft connects to the transmission through what is called a primary. This is sometimes a chain; sometimes gear connection. That primary would be down low and on the clutch side I am guessing. You might want to get an inexpensive stethoscope at an autoparts store and see if you can pinpoint where that noise is coming from to help diagnose the issue.

Comment

Working...
        X