Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with terminology. cover with oil window, right side, oil cover? replacing gaskt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with terminology. cover with oil window, right side, oil cover? replacing gaskt

apologies in advance but I need to know what that cover is called. It's on the right side ( as you are sitting on bike) has the oil window, and there is a gasket between that cover and insides. Just need to know what that's called and if anyone has had experience replacing that gasket and if there is anything special I need to know before attempting this repair. Thank you in advance as well for getting back to me. Bike = 1983 Suzuki GS850L Thanks.

Here you go with terms...

Shop online for OEM Crankcase Cover parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS850GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

get genuine suzuki gaskets and spend lots of time carefully cleaning old gasket residue off
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Generally called "clutch cover", but Suzuki has other, more specific terms.

There is oil behind it, but if you lean the bike over on the side stand, you will only have a few drops that drip off the inside of the cover when you remove it.

OEM gaskets are the best, especially in critica areas like cylinder block and head, but I have had no problems with aftermarket clutch cover gaskets.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks thanks thanks guys much appreciated.

Comment

Another tip: I like to make a sketch of the cover on cardboard, punch a little hole where the screws go. When you take a screw out put it in the corresponding hole in the cardboard. That way you can put the screws back in the hole they came out of. 👍
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thank you all for responding. If I may continue a bit. I was thinking the oil ( very little seepage)was coming from this area/gasket. But after further inspection it looks like it's coming down from the clutch lever arm little rubber booty spring thingy area? ( how's that for technical). Is this possible? And any ideas how this would be fixed? taken apart? repaired? Thanks again so much for all the help and advice.

Comment

It's possible, cuz there is a gasket on that thingy - see link. Clean area well, go for ride and check again. Don't overfill crankcase.

Shop online for OEM Clutch parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS850GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If its in the boot, it may be coming from the cable. Did you or a previous owner lube the cable? Could be some excess seeping out. Also, sometimes the rubber seal where the clutch shaft passes into the clutch cover leaks.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Pretty sure it's not where the clutch lever arm enters the case cover. Did see the diagram and the oil seal associated with the area and it's not leaking from there. Re-torqued the case cover thinking it was the gasket seeping. Now I'm thinking it's coming from above where the clutch wire comes over and is covered by a rubber booty. There is not a seal or o-ring or gasket in the rubber booty? is there? So disassemble the booty spring thingy and clean and reassemble and go for a ride and check again? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    Another tip: I like to make a sketch of the cover on cardboard, punch a little hole where the screws go. When you take a screw out put it in the corresponding hole in the cardboard. That way you can put the screws back in the hole they came out of. ��
                    Awesome tip.
                    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Is your cam chain tensioner leaking and dripping onto your clutch cable .....then running down to cable to the clutch adjuster area (where the rubber boots and spring is)
                      That's a maybe.

Comment

Working...
                      X