Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get to this leak?

I have a leak right here:

Of all places. It couldn't just be a valve cover gasket. I've never taken one of these motors apart but I'm guessing this is gonna be a pain...and it's hard to ignore because it leaks, albeit slowly, right on to the exhaust.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Is that the crank case or the oil pan? Nevermind...it's the crank case. That's a top end job right there.

I've done a valve cover gasket but haven't had to replace that gasket. That stinks.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Is that the head gasket? If so just re-torque the head. Loosen all the bolts then torque them back down in sequence adding 5lb/ft to factory recommended torque just for good measure. Doing this sealed up weepy head gaskets on both her 750 and my 850.

Comment

^^Good call...didn't think of that...re-torquing.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
          Is that the head gasket? If so just re-torque the head. Loosen all the bolts then torque them back down in sequence adding 5lb/ft to factory recommended torque just for good measure. Doing this sealed up weepy head gaskets on both her 750 and my 850.
          It's the case gasket--same level as the crankshaft. Tried tightening the bolt by the leak and it may have helped but did not eliminate it.
          sigpic

Comment

Looks like a case half to me, re torquing might help, if not....well, have you ever split the cases.

V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
              Looks like a case half to me, re torquing might help, if not....well, have you ever split the cases.

V
              Nope, never have. I've had the head off--different bike--but that's as far as I've gotten.
              sigpic

Comment

I would go easy on the bolt tightening for fear of stripping the threads.

If the leak is truly from there then you have to split the cases.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Had to go look at mine. Got a little wet spot on the other side. The other side dont have that threaded tab, ear thingy. Mines minor.....not gonna sweat it.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Splitting the cases is easy, you don't have to remove the head and cylinders. Flip the engine upside down and take the lower case off.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I that's the head gasket I would do the same as everyone else said. Take your valve cover off and torque down the head again maybe 5-10 ft lbs over spec. Head gaskets don't really get "smashed" as easy as soft gaskets like the valve cover gasket do. Gotta be really carefull with over-torquing those. But anyways, if the leak still persists after torquing tighter, it's honestly not that hard to change. I've never wrenched on anything in my life until my GS750 this winter. Replace both head gasket and valve cover gasket, both were leaking pretty bad. With no prior mechanical experience I just followed my clymers step by step and everything went smoothly and it runs great again. Putting your timing chain back on it the right position. Quadruple check it before you put ot back together. I almost put my valve cover back on with it being a half link out but a buddy made me check one last time before putting it on and boy did that save me quite a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Splitting the cases is easy, you don't have to remove the head and cylinders. Flip the engine upside down and take the lower case off.
                        Dumb question....could you then remove the crankshaft ?
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I did as Tom said years ago on my 1100e, a fairly simple task if the motor is out, as mine happened to be. My 1150 leaks there also..... and will continue to do so....
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            That is a relief. For a minute I thought it was going to be a top down job.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              I did as Tom said years ago on my 1100e, a fairly simple task if the motor is out, as mine happened to be. My 1150 leaks there also..... and will continue to do so....
                              I wouldn't mind just wiping it down after a ride but when it drips, it's right on the exhaust and the smell is not acceptable.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X