No announcement yet.

How do I get to this leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have heard of old mechanics plugging up pcv and vacuum ports on automotive engines, rigging up a shop vac to the oil fill, and putting the crankcase into a vacuum. Then spraying off the leaking area (timing cover, lower intake valley, etc) with brake clean letting it get sucked in to clean oil residue away. Once clean, they would apply rtv or engine sealant to area, which would get sucked in also, then removing vacuum. I haven't seen it in practice but a co-worker of mine told me about this and says he has done this with success to a few engines. I'm not sure if this would work for your problem but if it doesn't then you just have to split the cases, same place you are in now.

Comment

Originally posted by gcall07 View Post
      I have heard of old mechanics plugging up pcv and vacuum ports on automotive engines, rigging up a shop vac to the oil fill, and putting the crankcase into a vacuum. Then spraying off the leaking area (timing cover, lower intake valley, etc) with brake clean letting it get sucked in to clean oil residue away. Once clean, they would apply rtv or engine sealant to area, which would get sucked in also, then removing vacuum. I haven't seen it in practice but a co-worker of mine told me about this and says he has done this with success to a few engines. I'm not sure if this would work for your problem but if it doesn't then you just have to split the cases, same place you are in now.
      Cool idea!
      sigpic
      1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
      1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
      1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
      On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
      All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
        I wouldn't mind just wiping it down after a ride but when it drips, it's right on the exhaust and the smell is not acceptable.

Understood, plus your bike is really nice.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          Dumb question....could you then remove the crankshaft ?
          Not with the cam chain still attached.

I suppose if the cams were out, you pull the crank, rods, and pistons out from the bottom, but why? Sell parts on ebay maybe.

If you do split the cases ThreeBond 1211 is great case half sealant. About 20 bucks for a tube, lasts a long time.

Don't forget the bolt tightening sequence and the plates behind the clutch basket.

Might need a new oil pan gasket or crankshaft end seals.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
          X