GS550 Engine Tick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Engine Tick

Hey guys, been awhile since I've been on here.

My 1985 550e sat for the majority of last year and I finally got it up and running today. Unfortunately it has developed a tick in the left side of the top end that I would like your guy's opinions on. I know people say these 16v TSCC are noisy motors but this is worse than noisy. Video down below.

Last year the valves were adjusted by a shop. It did not sound like this after the service. Today I ran the bike for a few minutes and it was ticking. I then changed the oil and ran it for another few minutes. It was still ticking, and the speed of the ticking correlates with the rpm. After running for a bit it seemed to quiet down so I took it for a spin up the street and the ticking came back.

I'm not very comfortable working with the internals. I was thinking I'd pull the valve cover gasket and poke around a bit looking for the source. Any tips on what I should be looking for?

Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2016, 09:41 PM.

Sounds like loose tappet (or sticking valve ). Odd that it started doing this after its nap.

Remove camcover and investigate. Good time to make sure camchain tensioner is still able to move out against chain.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

So I finally got around to pulling the cam cover off. What I found was quite disturbing, take a look:

IMG_4806.jpg

Yep, that's the tappet laying down next to that valve. The bigger problem is the nut is nowhere to be found. This leads me to my next questions. Most importantly, where did the nut go? I've been running the bike a fair amount and it hasn't exploded yet. I looked around with a flashlight and fished with a magnet as much as I could with no success.

Next question, how did this happen? Like I stated before, the shop did the valves last year. Is it possible that the nut was never put on or was never torqued? I might go back to the shop and have them make this right but would rather not if I could slap another nut on there and call it good.

Obviously I'm very concerned that it's going to get jammed somewhere that will cause catastrophic damage or be dangerous for me.

Where should I go from here?

Comment

Drain you oil and drop the oil pan.
        Ad do not patronize that shop again
        The jam nuts are tricky bits I had one come loose years ago
        it ricocheted around and ended up in the sump
        it was not marrred so I put it back together and ran it for 50 plus kms before I got rid of the bike.
        Last edited by Cipher; 06-27-2016, 08:45 PM.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

They were the last ones in there, it's obvious they screwed it up. Good luck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You can clearly see the threaded adjuster in the pic
            get a brighter light and some extra young eyes to help search the valvetrain
            then drop the pan
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Look also at the tip of the tappet and the valve. As the screw backed out it would have been hammering, probably mushroomed the end of both.

Comment

I wonder of the adjuster length exceeds the total travel of the cam follower?
                If so no damage to the valve or follower would occur
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Dunno, all I'm saying is to look at that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                    You can clearly see the threaded adjuster in the pic
                    get a brighter light and some extra young eyes to help search the valvetrain
                    then drop the pan
                    I thought my LED light and 21 year old eyes were working okay I will definitely do a thorough double check before dropping the pan. I also might go by a smaller magnet to allow me to snake it down the cam valley better.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Look also at the tip of the tappet and the valve. As the screw backed out it would have been hammering, probably mushroomed the end of both.
                    Funny you mention that, check this picture of the tappet. Notice the threads on the valve side are pretty marred up. IMG_4808.jpg

Thank you guys a ton for the quick responses. This bike has been giving me hell but I've definitely learned quite a bit about working on these bikes.

Comment

I FOUND THE NUT!

IMG_4829.jpg
                      I can't thank you guys enough. I found it on top of the overhang directly below the oil pickup. Looks like it fell down into the cam sprocket, got chewed up and spit out the bottom. I am so thankful this didn't cause my engine to implode. Take a look at this (next post).

Comment

IMG_4828.jpg 10 characters

Comment

IMG_4827.jpg 10 characters

Comment

THere are a few of these on ebay now
                            rockers and all the bits
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                            X