Ken's '82 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken's '82 850

So, there's a handful of issues I need to address and I'm looking for some pointers.

I've read the welcome pages and wow, talk about a gulp from the fire hose!

I've done some searches (wifey is somewhat annoyed, borderline pi$$ed as I've been on here most of the day) so I guess I'm looking for things that are obvious to the experienced and to document my work as I'm doing it.

I don't know how many previous owner's exist for this bike but I'm fairly sure that none of them have done it justice. The odo shows 17k miles. Based on the age and what I've been reading on here it looks likely that it would show 117k if it were mechanically possible.

I've attached a pic of one problem: Some dingus decided to fill the tach port with RTV.

When the tach was plugged I suspect that is what led to the larger, more pressing problem: I'm blowing oil out the left side valve cover, around the #1 plug area. I suspect the same dingus didn't use a real gasket and just ran RTV around the valve cover and called it good enough.

So please, bear with me, and thank you all in advance for the help which will be given.

I have a manual on the way to help keep me on track. I'm not a gearhead by trade but I'm not scared to buy what I need for tools and ask the stupid questions when necessary.

Ken
    Attached Files

Wow, previous owner is a dufus. Replace the valve cover gasket as well as the cam chain gasket.

Put up some pics of your bike too.

Ed

EDIT: forgot to say, adjust the valves.
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-19-2016, 11:27 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

See that bolt with the "Phillips" head on it? Remove it, you will be able to remove the tach drive. That will make cleaning it MUCH easier.

The leak out the left side: is it from under the chrome cover on the end? If so, it's the "half-moon", which is easy to replace. You will want to check your valve adjustment anyway, replace all the half-moons and the valve cover gasket as part of the valve adjustment job.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Alrighty, I now have my Clymer manual in hand and will start tearing in to this.

Do we have a recommended source for gaskets? I've seen kits that look to rebuild the engine but I don't want to buy garbage parts and have them fail in 50 miles.

Part numbers would be helpful, if you have them.

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

I'd go OEM on the gasket. Much of that set is junk and shouldn't be used anyway. I know you just spent money on the Clymer manual but you should go here and download the Factory Service Manual.
          Last edited by JTGS850GL; 06-28-2016, 10:03 AM.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I will second the vote to go OEM on the gaskets. Especially if you are wanting to do the base gasket and the head gasket. If you just buy OEM gaskets for those, and get the Vesrah kit for everything else, you will spend about $5 less than just getting a complete OEM set.

And, ... I don't think I have ever seen a cam chain tensioner gasket included in any of the aftermarket sets, so you would have to get one of them, too. There might be other small gaskets, but that one stands out in my mind right now.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, I'm game for the OEM gaskets but I called the local Suzuki shop and they couldn't find them in the system for this year/model.

The Suzuki web site will let me search for dealers but not for parts inventories.

So again, I'm open to suggestions on where to get the gaskets I'll need.

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Kruder View Post
                Ok, I'm game for the OEM gaskets but I called the local Suzuki shop and they couldn't find them in the system for this year/model.

The Suzuki web site will let me search for dealers but not for parts inventories.

So again, I'm open to suggestions on where to get the gaskets I'll need.

Thanks,

Ken
                I've used these guys...they are in Florida.

Wholesale Pricing On OEM Parts For Suzuki, KTM, & Yamaha. Specializing in Suzuki & Yamaha Vintage Motorcycle Parts.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Go to a website like Partzilla... there are plenty of them online that sell OEM parts and look at their parts fiche for your year bike and model. Get the part number. Look at the parts fiche for the tach drive and there are two parts needed to restore this. One is an oil seal and the other an oring and you probably need the drive part that meshes with the cam shaft as well. After you clean up the RTV, leave the valve cover off the bike and it will be easier to clean up enough of the RTV in the tach drive to get it out. If you can find the previous owner, buy a potato at the grocery store and stick it in his tail pipe and put a note on his windshield thanking him for his thoughtful fix of an oil leak. You will understand this type of thankfulness once you start trying to clean up the RTV bwhahaha When you remove the carbs to get the valve cover off, carefully examine the carb holders for signs of similar RTV adventures.

Comment

Been a while since I've been able to update this.

I've been following the guide, which is incredible in it's detail.

So here's the plugs:
                    Plugs End.jpg

More pics to follow...

Comment

And it would appear I can only attach one pic per post so....

The battery:

Battery Top.jpg

Comment

And some of the mess left behind from the clown with the RTV

Cover off rear center.jpg

Comment

So tonight I'm finally ordering the gaskets.

But I've never needed to use feeler gauges before and I'm unsure about where I'm supposed to be measuring. A MotionPro Shim tool? Buckets?

Not sure what I'm looking for here and the valve adjust guide doesn't explain too well.

Any references or pics available to explain?

Thanks!

Comment

This information is also in the Factory Service Manual (FSM). Good luck with your endeavor and welcome to the site.

Did you read Nessism's list of mistakes for newbies? Really worth while read.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
                            X