Gaskets sets for GS850 etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaskets sets for GS850 etc

I read a forum topic tonight that included references to VESRAH gaskets being less than great in the writers view and experience.
    Being early into a complete rebuild of a 1980 GS850G I am in the process of gathering required parts now that the bike is fully stripped.
    Having had great success with VESRAH gaskets when I restored my 1983 Honda Goldwing I sought a set from the same manufacturer for the GS.
    I would park the Honda on a white carpet anytime and trust that there would never be a leak so what is the issue when used on a GS?
    I am a qualified motor mechanic although most experience has been on heavy equipment.
    From experience I have no reason to doubt VESRAH but would like to hear views be they good or bad.
    Thanks in anticipation

Vesrah is probably one of the better aftermarket manufacturers, but there are still occasionally problems with fit. Sometimes a hole is just a little bit off-center, or whatever.

On the other hand, Athena gaskets, ... let's just say you would be better off cutting your own gaskets out of cereal boxes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have used Vesrah gasket sets for years without any issues, either fit or leaking afterwards. If you buy a set on eBay that is no-name, keep in mind that it comes from a sweat shop in the Far East (read China, Viet Nam or Taiwan) and you had best buy a bucket of gasket sealer. Don't be fooled by US sellers selling no-name gaskets; these are also from the same sweat shop only the US seller buys them in bulk and has a distribution point in the US. Z1Enterprises.com sells Vesrah gasket sets.

Comment

Vesrah gaskets suck.

This is a GS850 engine assembled with Vesrah gaskets about 800 miles previously. The white stuff is foot powder spray, used to pinpoint the leak.

There were actually two dimensions of Vesrah suck here: upon disassembly, the pear-shaped o-rings in this area were grossly swollen and misshapen. They were simply made from the incorrect material. Also, the entire base gasket was extremely hard and brittle, and was too thin. It basically disintegrated into powder upon disassembly.

OEM gaskets and o-rings took care of it.

I had used Vesrah gaskets in the past with no problems, but never again.

(the date on the photo is not correct)
        Last edited by bwringer; 07-01-2016, 12:16 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

No matter how many threads we post here demonstrating how aftermarket gaskets suck there are always new threads where guys don't believe us.

Compare an OEM Suzuki valve cover gasket against just about any aftermarket gasket and you will quickly see the difference. The aftermarket gaskets are made with a porous type gasket paper and the Suzuki gasket paper almost feels rubbery. The OEM gaskets typically survive repeated valve adjustment services but the aftermarket gaskets often leak or tear the first time you go to remove the cover.

One of the biggest concerns with aftermarket gaskets is the base gasket. As Brian's photo shows using an aftermarket gasket is a real crap shoot. I've posted the photos showing my failed Athena base gasket countless times so I'll spare this thread. I
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
          X