Hard shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard shifting

I seem to be experiencing the same problems as m-nut in a previous fourm, but I'm not sure if our problem is related. I recently added an aftermarket clutch advertised as a perfect fit for my bike from amazon. The original snapped of while ridding (scary). Since adding the new one, I had to slam the shifter to get it into gear on a test ride.

My cousin who's a mechanic suspected it's a worn shifter gear, or if it's not that, he thinks it could be a problem with the transmission (which was fine before).

Clutch cable, gears, or transmission. Which would be the most likely culprit?If anybody has some insight to make it shift properly, it would be much appreciated l, as it's my main source of transportation. It's a 1982 GS650 Shaft drive model.
    Attached Files

Slamming the shifter probably means bent shift forks. Don't do that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Aftermarket clutch? You mean the clutch disks or are you talking about the clutch lever?

Comment

I'm talking about a clutch lever. I think tkent is right. I was hoping I wouldn't have to tear apart the transmission. Thanks for your imput.

Comment

Does either of those gears on the attachment photo look worn to the point they would contribute to the problem?

Comment

Those "gears" are just part of the ratchet system. If THEY are worn, you have much much more serious things to worry about.

Although your new lever claims to fit, it might be a little different. If the hole for the cable is closer to the pivot, it will be easier to pull, but may not pull the cable far enough to fully release the clutch. Same thing with adjustment. If there is yoo much slack, you will not fully release the clutch.

For troubleshooting, take the clutch out of the picture. Can you shift without it? How easily? That will help determine whether the problem is in the clutch or the transmission.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You'll need about 1/4 inch of slack at clutch lever arm (the thing sticking out of clutch cover) before you feel clutch hand lever start to pull- too much slack ,it won't release well, especially with cold engine.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X