Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooops. I guess it's my turn ...

... to track down an oil leak.

Went up to do some work for the kids today, my son pointed out an oil leak on the engine. It wasn't there when I left home.

Probably not that easy to see in this picture, but the whole cylinder area is wet around #3 and #4.

After the work was done, rode the 30 miles home. In the time it takes to take off a helmet and grab a camera out of the van (about 15 feet away), this was under the bike:

Went down to the carwash to spray it all down. Rode "around the block" on the way home (about 4 miles) to dry it off and see where the oil was starting to show.

Looks like it might be from the valve cover gasket, but I don't think I will get off that easy.

That is the front side of the intake valves on #3 and #4.

In the four miles home, there was this much oil on the fins:

Gotta get it ready for a rally in six weeks.

Going to do my best to not pull Wingsconsin's trick of riding my Wing to a GS rally.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

What makes you think it's not the valve cover gasket? It's leaking out the forward controls, most likely. Just another reason I hate 'em.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have only looked, have not taken anything loose, other than pulling the two spark plug wires. I will probably replace the valve cover gasket and see if that's it, but knowing my luck with things, I don't anticipate getting off that easy. Right now, I am just waiting for it to cool down. Will probably wait until tomorrow to start tackling it.

I don't think the "forward controls" are causing any leaks. For one, they are not near enough to anything that might cause a leak and two, they are only wet on top, which means that something else is leaking onto them.

Really, they are not so much "forward controls". Just think of the floorboards as REALLY stretched-out footpegs that happen to have a brake pedal at the front edge. Not a whole lot different than "stock". TRUE "forward controls", like what are found on all the metric and American 'cruisers', really suck, as your feet are so far forward, you can't do anything with them. My floorboards are still pretty much in the stock location, so I can still stand on them to absorb the shock of a large dip/bump if necessary.

sigpic
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Well you could look at the bright side, oil is cheap in the USA hope it's just the cam cover.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

I would also seriously think about ditching the synthetic oil and switching to regular Rotella non synthetic. Just my opinion... 👍
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            I would also seriously think about ditching the synthetic oil and switching to regular Rotella non synthetic. Just my opinion... 

There may be some wisdom in this sentiment
            The way I understand synthetic oils (not to make this into an oil thread) is it has better 'flow' properties.
            Revealing a leak as it develops due to it's ability to 'flow' at all temperatures.

I use DELO (Diesel Engine Lubricating Oil) 400 from Wal*mart and when my carbs cooperate my bikes work really well.

I do use the Rotella Synthetic on my Goldwing but it is 2002 technology vs 1983

Comment

OIL THREAD!!!!!!
              The oil looks like it the cam cover gasket. Easy fix.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                I would also seriously think about ditching the synthetic oil and switching to regular Rotella non synthetic. Just my opinion... 
                I'd only ever had one experience with a semi synthetic oil, put it in a well used Isuzi Diesel engine, naturally to be good to the thing and help it along, had to take it out even before the next oil change, I now only use a Good Quality, high spec mineral oil but looks like in your case may be to late for just an oil change. sorry!
                Last edited by Chromedome; 07-11-2016, 04:34 PM. Reason: Xxxx

Comment

guys, pretty sure steve is up to speed on oil debates, just sayin'.....
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Yeah, I know, but I'll play along anyway.

Let's just say for a minute that synthetic oil "caused" this leak. How did it do it and why did it wait so long?

1. I have only run synthetic (Rotella 5w-40) in this bike since I got it. I have run it for about 10,000 miles.
                    2. I have only run synthetic in my wife's bike since we got it in 2005. We have put about 25,000 miles on it.
                    3. I have only run synthetic (either Mobil 1 or Rotella) in my Wing since I got it in 2005. I have put on 96,491 of the 187,441 miles showing on the Wing's odometer.

This is the first major oil leak, other than the one caused by stripped studs on the oil filter cover last year on my 850.

Someone PLEASE convince me how synthetic oil "caused" this leak.

I am now headed out to the shop to do some investigative work.

Will probably check valve clearances while I am at it.
                    Anybody know how to get hold of that guy with the spreadsheet?

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Synthetic oil is magical. It has supernatural powers.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

.[/QUOTE]

Look in your bathroom---he should be looking right back at you in the mirror.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Just checked my valve cover bolts. All needed just a nudge. I have a fairly new gasket that's seating in. My old gasket had a small piece go missing and it leaked like a sieve. Check your breather line too Steve..
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Yeah, I know, but I'll play along anyway.

Let's just say for a minute that synthetic oil "caused" this leak. How did it do it and why did it wait so long?

1. I have only run synthetic (Rotella 5w-40) in this bike since I got it. I have run it for about 10,000 miles.
                            2. I have only run synthetic in my wife's bike since we got it in 2005. We have put about 25,000 miles on it.
                            3. I have only run synthetic (either Mobil 1 or Rotella) in my Wing since I got it in 2005. I have put on 96,491 of the 187,441 miles showing on the Wing's odometer.

This is the first major oil leak, other than the one caused by stripped studs on the oil filter cover last year on my 850.

Someone PLEASE convince me how synthetic oil "caused" this leak.

I am now headed out to the shop to do some investigative work.

Do the mentainance, it's a 30 something year old bike, probably neglected for years, don't expect it to excel and humm like it was cared for! Undoubtedly flogged, thrashed, dropped, left lying outside, probably doing 25 or 30 mpg. Do the mentainance.

In the way of an apology.
                            Sorry Steve, only kidding LoL. Couldn't resist, just a bit of fun!

Comment

Definitely don't want to start a oil debate. But since it's kind of already started. I would like to ask Steve a question, with all do respect. Why do you use the synthetic motor oil in your motorcycles? What is the big advantage in running synthetic motor oil in our Suzuki engines... In my experience with synthetic motor oil, it always caused a leak within short time. The last experience, was with my BMW. I switched to Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil. 1000 miles later the base gasket started leaking... With my oil burners, I change the oil in the fall (end of riding season) and keep them topped off during the summer. They always has clean oil in them.☺
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X