No numbers on valve shims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No numbers on valve shims?

Hello peeps, I'm checking the valve clearance on my '79 gs850 and I'm tight on intake valves 3&4. Meaning I can not fit a .038mm. When in position I can spin the tumbler, just thought it may be too close. I removed both shims, and being my first time, thought I would find numbers for shim size. BUT no numbers? Any thoughts? I tried BikeCliffs down load with no prevail😩. Another thing to note is the bike only has 4000 miles. Thinking they are original shims. Is there supposed to be sizing on these? Let me know watcha thinkin! Or am I just waaaaaaaay out there? Thanx✌🏼️

sometimes the numbers get worn off. If you have a vernier calliper just measure the thickness. For example a 255 shim will read 2.55mm on the gauge.

Comment

The numbers are just stamped on with ink -- they're not engraved or etched, so sometimes they sort of disappear.

If you can scare up a strong light and maybe some magnifying glasses, sometimes you can hold the shim at an angle and see enough traces of the numbers to figure out what you have. Try different things, like wiping it with a film of oil, or wipe it clean, a blacklight, etc.

If that doesn't work, a digital micrometer will soon set you straight:

(Yeah, it's HF. Mine works great, it reads directly in mm, and it's plenty accurate for shims.)

Or if you're really caught short, mic 'em with your grandpa's regular old spinny inch micrometer and do the conversion. Write the size on the shim with a sharpie and put that side down from then on. (And track what shim went where on Steve's spreadsheet).

HF's digital calipers are a good bit cheaper and can measure shims with just enough precision to distinguish one shim from another. First measure a few shims of known thickness to get a sense of how far off your calipers are and how hard you should press. Yes, the display reads in .01mm increments, but it's not quite that precise. Still, with a little practice you can tell which shim is which. For example, you might get a reading of 2.72 when you measure a 2.70 shim, so if your unknown shim measures 2.67 or 2.68, you can be pretty confident it's a 2.65.
      Last edited by bwringer; 07-19-2016, 06:12 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Try bouncing light off them in different ways, wet them, dry them, breath on them, use black light and squinty eyes. Some combination of the above can bring the number up. It's generally still there or it's ghost is.
        As a rule I don't rely on the numbers as shims have been ground instead of replaced and mistakes can get made on new ones.
        Vernier caliper is a very good idea for shim work.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Just to be clear, you are looking on the bottom side of the shim as it sits in the bucket. Right?
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

I never trust whats written. I always grab the digital calipers and measure each one.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Most shop manuals will ask that you place shims with the numbers facing down but lots of folks can't read. The numbers under a cam lobe will last about 2 seconds in operation. Buy a HF digital caliper or get a similar from eBay as they don't have to be super accurate to measure a shim.

Comment

You guys rule! Have not tried any methods yet, but will be.! Going outta town for work for a couple days. On return between kids and the wife, I'll make ends meet somewhere!!! Keep ya posted!! Thanx peeps😎

Comment

Originally posted by Bemidji Ryder View Post
                  Hello peeps, ...
                  Originally posted by Bemidji Ryder View Post
                  ... Thanx peeps
                  I have met MANY (well over 100) of the members on this forum, but have never seen any that looked like this:

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  (And track what shim went where on Steve's spreadsheet).
                  Yep, start the process by looking down there.
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I found that taking a picture with flash (on my phone) revealed the hidden writing...
                    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                      I found that taking a picture with flash (on my phone) revealed the hidden writing...
                      Good idea. Digital camera CCDs are sensitive to a wider spectrum than visible light, so sometimes they can pick up things your eyes can't.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                      X