Clutch basket noise and low rpm shudder. 82 GS 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch basket noise and low rpm shudder. 82 GS 550

82 GS 550L with 1100 original miles and sat for the past 9 years in a climate controlled garage. Problem: Clutch basket backlash type shudder sound with clutch lever in or out. Also clutch basket shudder when starting to move from a dead stop. Basket nut is TIGHT and carbs bench synced. I Found problem, I inserted 1 flat washer between then large diameter spring end and backing plate and 2 flat washers between the small diameter spring end and backing plate and peened backing plate lip at end so washers cannot come out. all noise and shudder are gone. You may need more or less flat washers to restore spring tension. I also replaced the auto cam chain tensioner spring too. Chuck, Pittsburgh

"I also replaced the auto cam chain tensioner spring too. "

Did you reset tensioner correctly after reinstalling? Many times this is done wrong, so best to ask!
    1100 miles? Wow. Be sure to read about charging issues that this bike will sooner or later develop- and how to simply prevent them.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Are you sure it's a genuine 1100 miles?
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Your point is ?

Comment

My point is the cush springs shouldn't flog at that low a mileage. I used to work in a shop that re-sprung / welded up baskets every day and they never wore out that quick.

Have you had this bike since new? Is it possible the gauges might have been changed?

l don't know - just doesn't add up.....
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

warped steels? no?
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
              My point is the cush springs shouldn't flog at that low a mileage. I used to work in a shop that re-sprung / welded up baskets every day and they never wore out that quick.

Have you had this bike since new? Is it possible the gauges might have been changed?

l don't know - just doesn't add up.....
              Mileage is not the cause of lost spring tension, time is. The

Comment

Working...
              X