Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gathering oil cooler parts for 1100E- New cover or drilled galley plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gathering oil cooler parts for 1100E- New cover or drilled galley plug?

My 83 GS1100E I got in Sept of 2015 runs perfect. Previous owner had V&H 4 into 1 with APE filters and Dyno jet kits installed but it wasnt right. Its now spot on and the bike does it all flawlessly now. Just amazing. I LOVE THIS BIKE! However on 95 deg super humid degree days here in MI the oil temp runs much higher than on a nice 75 degree day- Id say the gauge reads 260 plus on those hot days. So after reading archived posts here on the forums Id like some input. Rather than buy a GS1150 oil cap with the diverter will an installed oil galley plug with a 2.5mm drilled center hole mentioned in the Flying Bannana page truly accomplish what the 1150 cover does? What size tap do I need? Is the current hole good to tap or do I need to drill larger for the tap? I am posting pics of items available new I am considering for my oil cooling.

This is my baby. Under 15k miles

This cooler on ebay is $65. Im not expecting the lines to be correct and usable. yes the cooler is from China.

And then for $50 I want to add this "Manual thermostat." Its a manual oil flow bypass valve.

I have no problem buying a used or new 1150 oil cap but would like to save $$ if possible. I also realize I will need to spend money on good lines - especially to implement the bypass valve. I plan on buying th correct banjo bolts to plumb into the oil hookups beside the filter cap.
    Thanks- Mike

Ebay links

I suspect you did not change your R/ r snd rad still running a shunt r/ r. If you change to a series r/ r your cooling issue will go away. See gs stator in my signature for options snd read about the compufire. Sh/775 should be same result but harder to fit.

Comment

Btw I just sold a complete 1150 cooler on Ebsy for $200 ; it was complete with banjos, lines, cover , cooler and mount. Buyer said he had been looking for a long time.

Comment

Thanks for the reply posplayr. I will take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
          Thanks for the reply posplayr. I will take a look.
          Nice looking bike.

This is the link.

Just be a ware, that Ed is very likely to come along and say the the engine will not cool based on the R/R. But he would be ignoring everybody else's experience who say it worked. It apparetnly did not work on an 1000S 8V he had tried it on. But you can read above a lot of people that will testify to the fact that on a 1100E 16V it does help substantially and if you are marginal as you describe then this will solve two problems. The other being that you will likely burn your stator.

Comment

I did read archived posts that had "differing " opinions but Im all for modern stuff retrofitted to our older stuff for improvement. I inquired to a member here if he had an 1150 complete cooler set up for sale and he did for $225. I offered him $200 but Im sure I offended him because I got no reply.

Comment

Unecessary mod to this engine ... but they look cool! (I gots one with / and one without)

beautiful bike
              1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

The type of R/R you use won't affect oil temperature. That's some of Pos's urban legend.

I don't know the answer about using a plug vs. the cover, but I will say that Earl's sells some nifty coolers that aren't overly expensive. You can make Earl's lines too for reasonable prices.

A set of 750 oil pump gears will help oil get up into the cooler quickly and compensate for plumbing losses in the system. If your gaskets in the top end are weak though the extra oil may cause leaks. Have you torqued the head before?
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What I think would be more beneficial than a oil cooler, is a fan. When sitting at a red light, I think it would be good to be able to hit a switch to turn on a fan or two to blow over the engine.
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Just from the photograph of the cooler kit above - those banjo fittings will not flow oil as well as a direct connection. You could use shielded hose pressed on over the barbs secured by hose clamps. These roller bearing crank engines use high flow at relatively low oil pressure. I used the same method on my 1000ST and it worked perfectly for years with no leaks at all. I ran 4qts of oil to compensate for the lines and cooler core.

Comment

My '82 ran very hot, so I installed the 1150 cooler and cover. Now it runs very cool.

I like the fact that it's all in the family, and as you know, our bikes were designed with it in mind - no running oil lines all over the motor.

So, to reiterate, I highly recommend the 1150 cooler and filter cover.

I just rode my Suzi, and it's 105f here with the heat index. The needle never even hit 200. My thermostat? A piece of cardboard and two twist ties for the winter.

PS I paid $150 for a very good cooler with lines and a brand new cover.
                      Last edited by Rob S.; 07-25-2016, 04:49 PM.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        The type of R/R you use won't affect oil temperature. That's some of Pos's urban legend.
                        I must be clairvoyant; I predicted you would say that

Comment

Can anyone tell me the pipe tap size to thread in an oil galley plug with the 2.5mm centerhole? Is there just tapping or is drilling oversize required?

Comment

Working...
                          X