Removing cover on the shifter/clutch adjustment side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing cover on the shifter/clutch adjustment side

I can't remove cover that the shifter arm comes put (don't know what it's called). I've removed all screws, clutch adjustment mechanism, hit it with a deadbolt and it won't budge. Don't see anything in manual, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Paulo

If you are removing the cover have you taken off the shifter? Sounds dumb but I'm spitballing here. Shifter clamp bolt, and c-clip depending what you have.

Comment

What bike, what year?
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

1977 GS750. Yes I removed shifter lever. Case just won't budge.

Comment

7 screws to remove, 5 around the periphery and 2 under the clutch adjustment panel.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Thank you. I didn't see 2nd screw underived clutch adjustment panel. Now it's loose but stuck on shift shaft, not sure if it's a bad oil seal holding it up or worse. Any recommendations?
            Thank you again
            Paulo

Comment

There's no oil seal in the cover.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There is no oil seal or bushing between shifter shaft and cover? It's just steel on aluminum? Manual show's an oil seal, but this is my 1st bike of this type so maybe not.

Comment

The seal is on the block further in; it does slide over the shifter shaft, but lives further in. On some GSs you have to remove the foot peg bracket or whatever's at the back of the cover in the way to get the cover off.
                  '82 GS450T

Comment

Probably cr@p on the shaft. Keep wiggling the panel, maybe spray a lubricant in there, it'll slide off.
                    -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                    X