Cylinder #2 dead after carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder #2 dead after carb rebuild

i didn't know if i should post this here or in the carb section. I'm leaning towards its a valve issue but i need some guidance, the bike has been running great until the last few weeks. I rode 250ish miles on Monday and noticed a miss in the bike and my mileage has dropped from 40ish to 25. I looked underneath and saw that one of the Carb bowls were leaking. I pulled the air box and yanked off the carbs. I completely disassembled them, dipped them for 24 hours, dipped all the internals. I put new gaskets, and O-rings in them. I reassembled them went to set the air fuel screw, the bike was idling perfectly so following the kool-aid kids write up I road tested it. the bike seemed to be down on power----> fast forward to today. The #2 cylinder isn't working. I took the carb back apart, cleaned it, the bowl was full of gas fyi. I hooked a spark plug up to the wire and its getting spark. Im at a loss here. I switched the 2/4 wires to see if there is a difference and nothing. I sprayed a mist of water on the pipe and it just runs off the other 3 just evaporate. I am confused.

Things I have done
    New carb boot O rings, new airbox boots, New carb O-rings, New gaskets, New battery, New compufire r/r, ricks motorsport stator with SPG. all fluids have been changed. And i tested the petcock and its functioning properly.

Engine is a 8V gs1100

Any advice would be appreciated

Are you blowing the carb circuits out with can cleaner and compressed air to make sure there flowing? Through the air jets on the inlet side and through where the fuel enters the jets. Also the plug wire swaps are done with 1/4 and 2/3.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Does #2 EVER work? What I mean is: maybe it will idle, but not pull on the road. Or maybe it will pull on the road but not idle.

Also, when spraying fluids or air through the jets and passages, be sure to spray BACKWARD, to dislodge anything that might have gotten stuck in there. If you spray in the normal direction, you might just wedge the crap in there tighter.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If #2 spark plug is black you're petcock is bad
        If it isn't check compression on 2
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Steve #2 doesnt work at all, Sitting at idle and after riding around for 5 or so minutes I could still touch the exhaust pipe . I thought maybe if i took it down the road a few times it would break whatever loose...nope. The carbs have been blown out, after dipping and rinsing with water. I guess i could disassemble them again and dip/ blow them out again and see if anything is blocking the air vents.
          Gsrick my plug wires are 2/4 1/3 i guess it doesnt matter as long as they go to the appropriate cylinder from the coil?

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
            Gsrick my plug wires are 2/4 1/3 i guess it doesnt matter as long as they go to the appropriate cylinder from the coil?
            If that is the way your coils are, you have other problems, too. Or a VERY unique crank in your engine.

With the normal crankshaft, cylinders 1 and 4 are up at the same time, while 2 and 3 are down at that same time. With that arrangement, the coil that fires #1 cylinder HAS to fire #4. If that second plug wire is on any other plug, your engine will run like crap, if at all.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              If that is the way your coils are, you have other problems, too. Or a VERY unique crank in your engine.

With the normal crankshaft, cylinders 1 and 4 are up at the same time, while 2 and 3 are down at that same time. With that arrangement, the coil that fires #1 cylinder HAS to fire #4. If that second plug wire is on any other plug, your engine will run like crap, if at all.

my bad I just looked and it is correct 1/4 2/3, was on call last night and worked on this all day, I'm exhausted

Comment

What does the #2 plug look like? Do you have a gas smell from the vacuum line going to the petcock?
                http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

No gas or smell from that vacuum line, the plug is brown/tan in color. With black around the end of the threads. I bought w compression tester, it's 85-90 across all cylinders not stellar but consistent. So obviously a valve adjustment is needed. I took the carbs back off and disassembled #2 it's currently being dipped

Comment

When you did the compression test, did you have the throttle wide open at the time? If not, then you did it wrong and those would be typical numbers. If you did do it correctly, then 80 would be a rebuild for sure.

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

**** no I didn't. I was trying to balance the gauge crank, write down numbers ect
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
                        **** no I didn't. I was trying to balance the gauge crank, write down numbers ect
                        Then those number are useless.

Just open the throttle and crank with all the plugs out. The gauge should stop at peak pressure. Record it when done on each cylinder. Move to the next cylinder.

Make sure you have a charged battery.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

If the carbs are off, no need to twist throttle.
                          :cool:GSRick
                          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                            Then those number are useless.

Just open the throttle and crank with all the plugs out. The gauge should stop at peak pressure. Record it when done on each cylinder. Move to the next cylinder.

Make sure you have a charged battery.
                            the compression checker I bought from harbor freight was defective, it wouldn't go above 90, I did all 4 of my cylinders and then did my dads running 850g.....all were 90 so it was returned and will have to wait until tomorrow to get another one

Comment

Well issue is fixed, i pulled gapped and checked all the plugs again, then I watched the spark again, the #2 plug was arcing from the back of the electrode, if you looked really close you can see the porcelain had a divot where i assume the spark arcd across the electrode. These were new plugs also

Comment

Working...
                              X