Valves began leaking after head reinstall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valves began leaking after head reinstall

I previously had a bent valve in one of my cylinders. I opened the engine up and replaced it. The other valves were leaking a small amount so I went ahead and lapped all of them. Before going into the engine I tested the compression and got 130s, 130s, 30s, 130s respectively for cylinders 1,2,3,4. This seems to be telling me that the other three cylinders nothing is wrong with. After reinstalling the head I tested the compression again and I got 80,85,90,50 on the compression. Before reinstalling, I tested the seal of the valves by putting some marvel mystery oil into the head to see if it leaked. After leaving it overnight almost no oil leaked through making me believe the valves were correctly seated. there was some residue oil around the seal that I can hear bubbling up on the intake valves showing that somehow now after reinstalling the head the valves are no longer seating right. All of this is being done cold. Currently compression tests are being done by running the starter engine without carbs or exhaust connected.

Any Ideas? This is the first experience I have had with engines and I was really hoping that it would work after fixing the bent valve. Apparently I have done something wrong when reinstalling.

Thanks in advance for the help

Did you properly set the valve lash? And of course we have no clue what kind of bike you have.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sorry it is a 1981 gs650g

Comment

Compression test should be done when the engine is at working temperature with throttle wide open.
        your results on 3 cylinders are not bad for cold readings but the 50 psi cylinder is way off is this the one that had the bent valve?
        if the valve lapping has been done correctly there should have been no seep of the test fluid.
        have you rechecked your valve clearances?
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

How much smaller were your valve shims after the lapping event?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
            Compression test should be done when the engine is at working temperature with throttle wide open.
            your results on 3 cylinders are not bad for cold readings but the 50 psi cylinder is way off is this the one that had the bent valve?
            if the valve lapping has been done correctly there should have been no seep of the test fluid.
            have you rechecked your valve clearances?
            With no carbs attached, the throttle position is irrelevant.

Even cold, the 80,85,90 numbers are a little anemic. Do as others have stated. Start by verifying your valve adjustments.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Many times it is necessary to check compression cold, often when buying a non-running bike. If it has set a long time, readings can be misleading until the rings start sealing a bit but as has been noted, less than 100 cold is not good. Since you are having a compression issue and the head was redone, you should do a leakdown test using a gizmo like this:

I have one and it works well enough to tell you where any compression issues lie. Suggest you mention what valve clearances you now have and if they were not checked, that would also be a good place to start diagnosing the problem.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2016, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion it is the shims. the fluid is some excess oil from when I installed them. I did not actually adjust the shims. I also believe I put the buckets (spring cover things with the shims on them. not exactly sure what they are called) on different cylinders then they came off of...(just the buckets though. I made sure the springs were correct between intake/exhaust) Stupid I know but it is what I did at the time. I ordered a feeler gauge the other day and it will be in tomorrow so I will go ahead and check the clearances. I will post results and try to figure it out.

This forum has been amazing. Thank you everybody for all of your help

Comment

Also for reference, what would be a good cold reading?

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                    With no carbs attached, the throttle position is irrelevant.
                    I did say compession test should be done with the engine at working temperature so you would assume that the carbs would be fitted.
                    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                    past bikes. RF900
                    TL1000s
                    Hayabusa
                    gsx 750f x2
                    197cc Francis Barnett
                    various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by Tesla View Post
                      Also for reference, what would be a good cold reading?
                      It varies, but 90 is good.

I'm assuming your motor was running sometime recently?

You should check out the Shim Club, he's probably close to you, for new shim sizes
                      Be sure you do not rotate the cams without shims in the buckets!!!!
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

No hasn't been run in years. I definitely will not run without any shims at all. I pretty sure something is currently wrong so I don't really want to hook it up to the bike for a hot test. Ok I'll shoot for the 90-100 range. I'm going to pull the head cover tomorrow. Thanks again for the input

Comment

"I definitely will not run without any shims at all."

don't even rotate engine by hand without shims as cam lobes will do unpleasant things to shimless buckets
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The 130 numbers look pretty impressive if the bike had not run for years. When you get it to decent numbers, 1000 miles or so of spirited riding should improve things.

Check out the above link before you do too much to the valves.
                            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                            1983 GS 1100 G
                            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Cams out of time?
                              Speed Merchant
                              http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                              X