78 550 engine bolt list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 550 engine bolt list?

Hi folks- first, thanks for contributing. I've been lurking for a bit reading up on some older threads.

I have a basket case 78 GS 550 I'm just starting to creep in on. I've tried forum and Google searches, but seem to be dropping the ball. Can anyone point to a comprehensive list of the machine screws and bolts on a 78 engine? I'd like to replace all of the rusted out pieces, but to minimize my clutter I'd prefer to not tear it all down first to measure everything if someone has a resource.

Thanks in advance- I'm sure to post a bunch of similarly newb questions along the way.

The part number usually contains the bolt's size. For example, for part number 0F654-52543, the bolt size is M5 x 25mm. I ordered most of the bolts and have slowly been swapping them out as I go through the bike. The part number trick has worked great so far on the points cover, carb top and bowl, and carb boots to head bolts. Hoping to switch out the LH case cover bolts this week.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Excellent- I'll give that a go. I redid the carbs with a purchased bolt kit for expediency, but would rather just buy the parts I need. Thanks for the heads up on the part number code.

Comment

I get all of my oem parts from Partzilla, no Home Depot crap, straight to Partzilla for every little bolt

Comment

Some years ago I changed all the exposed bolts on my 1100 to SS Allen head cap screws by taking the old stuff out kinda' one by one, measuring, making a list and visiting a fastener supply house. If you go in the morning and take some donuts, the counter guys are a lot more helpful. These days you can buy on line.

If you need help measuring, get a digital caliper from Hazard Fraught (Harbor Freight) that reads in inch and mm.

Comment

I have a list for the 80 GS1000GL and 80GS1000G but I suspect that isn't what is needed. I bought a set of socket head stainless bolts that included the oil pan, carb holders, little flat headed phillips head screws that hold the cam end caps on and M5 allen bolts for the points cover. Every cover was in its own plastic bag with washers and every bag contained the right number and length bolts. I was super impressed by the amount of research and work the seller put into his bolt set. On eBay his seller name is: ALLOYBOLTZ and I highly recommend this guys sets as they were far superior to any I have ever purchased.

This is a set similar to what I purchased... don't know if he does sets for your bike:

Comment

Thanks, folks-

I build custom bicycles, and have several vendors for SS hardware. The kit was great for the carbs (easy), but having the handy reference means i should be able to fold the parts in with some of my regular fastener purchases (SS socket and JIS already).

Very much appreciated!

PS- I'll put a list together based on the inventory numbers, and if it works out will post the list to the forum as a resource. Is there a sticky or thread with that sort of info I should add it to?

Comment

Working...
              X