Oil Changed, Now Running Badly?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Changed, Now Running Badly?!?!?!

Changing the oil today in my '83 850G went well with the only snag being a container to catch the oil.

Figured that out then changed oil as planned.

Filled crank case with 3.8 qts of Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil.

Started alright, then once the oil began circulating the light went off and I began adjusting the choke (80* out, thought it would be a short warm up)

Needed the fully choke, even then Idle was around 1K and slowly turning off the choke wouldn't affect the idle much at all until it was fully off. Then it wanted to die, so i let it sit for a minute or two.

Then I started it back up with choke and gave it a little gas, not getting it to rev much past 3K. More revving brought on a few backfires, so I shut it off.

What the hell is going on?

Did you remove the fuel tank to change your oil? If so, check to see that you installed the vacuum line to the petcock when you put the tank back on.

Comment

Just a thought, is the fuel tank low? I have thought the worst a couple of times now and switched to reserve then life was good.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Tank is almost full, actually. I didn't remove anything but the oil filter and drain plug. Both reinstalled and filled to capacity with no leaks. I am confused to say the least. I just rode it on Friday with no issues.

Comment

Probably just a coincidence.
          I rode my bike 15 miles and stopped at a gas station to take a pee.
          When I got back on my bike and started riding it was misfiring bad so I rode it home.
          Took weeks of trouble shooting and replacing parts that tested bad or weak.
          Did not help the problem until I replaced the 2-3 coil, and that was the issue.
          Taking a pee in the gas station, had nothing to do with the misfire.

Read the trouble shooting guide and start eliminating possible causes.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Alright, I panicked for a whole lot of nothing. Maybe some sediment in a carb, maybe a vapor lock in the line, who knows. I let it warm up for a bit then found a sweet spot of throttle and after a minute or two the tach jumped and started revving normally. THAT was quite a scare. I just want to get through the rest of the season before I tear it apart this winter! Thank you all for your quick wisdom, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
            X